Finding the period from SHM equation x = A cos(ωt + φ)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
NanoTech
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
A body oscillates in SHM according to the equation, x = A cos(wt + f) where A = 8.8, ω = 1.070, and φ = 0.420. Assume all quantities are in SI units. What is the period?

I don't know how to get the period from this equation? Can anyone lead me in the right direction, please? Thanks! ~Dave W.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First, I will re-write your equation to avoid confusion:

[tex]x = Acos(\omega{t} + \phi)[/tex]

where the quantities are as you stated.

Now, I can tell you that [tex]\omega[/tex] (the angular frequency) is equal to [tex]2\pi{f}[/tex], where f is the frequency (number of oscillations per second).

From that, can you find the period?
 
Kinda. I see that [tex]f = \frac{1}{T}[/tex]

So, from that, I can write:

[tex]x = Acos(\frac{2\pi}{T}(t) + \phi)[/tex]

Then, I solve for T:

but I've now introduced an "x" and a "t" into the problem, where do i go from here?
 
Last edited:
NanoTech said:
Kinda. I see that [tex]f = \frac{1}{T}[/tex]
Right!
So, from that, I can write:

[tex]x = Acos(\frac{2\pi}{T}(t) + \phi)[/tex]
Don't do that! Instead write the equation for ω (which is given) in terms of T. (I know you can do it, since that's what you just did to rewrite that equation.)