Finding the position x(t) with constantly changing acceleration

In summary, the object is moving at a speed of -1/2 and the initial conditions tell you that the value of the velocity is 0.
alpha01
Im trying to find the position of an object x at time t. There is pretty straight forward formulas to use to find x(t), however acceleration must be fixed... but in this question acceleration is changing at sin2t.

I have been going through period by period working out the new position at x(t-1).. until i finally get to the time i want.

surely there is an easier way to work out the position at time t when acceleration is constantly changing?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is indeed a far more straightforward method to determine x(t), simply consider the definition for acceleration.

[tex]a = x^{\prime\prime}\left(t\right) = \sin\left(2t\right)[/tex]

thanks, i can see how that is true. However i can't put it all together.

The object is moving at v = -1/2 at time 0, from a starting point of 5 on a grid.. how can i find out where the object is 5 seconds later?

Is it the integral of the integral of acceleration (sin2t) where t = 5?

Last edited:
alpha01 said:
Is it the integral of the integral of acceleration (sin2t)?
No, try taking it one step at a time. First determine v(t)

[tex]v\left(t\right) = x^\prime\left(t\right) = \int \sin\left(2t\right) dt[/tex]

(-1/2)cos(2t)

alpha01 said:
(-1/2)cos(2t)
Good, but aren't you forgetting something?

woops...

(-1/2)cos(2t) + C

alpha01 said:
woops...

(-1/2)cos(2t) + C
Better. So what can you say about this constant C?

C = acceleration at t?

alpha01 said:
C = acceleration at t?
No. We have found an equation for the velocity at time t,

[tex]v\left(t\right) = C - \frac{1}{2}\cos\left(2t\right)[/tex]

Let me rephrase my question: what do the initial conditions tell you about the value of C?

i think that C is the initial velocity of -1/2?

alpha01 said:
i think that C is the initial velocity of -1/2?
Close, but not quite. Try substituting t=0 into the equation for v(t) above.

ok, so using C = -1/2 we get v(0) = -1, and using C = 1/2 we get v(0) = 0

neither of which gets our true initial velocity of -1/2... the only way i found to get the correct initial velocity at t(0) is using C = 0.

when t = 0 you get

[tex]v\left(0 \right) + \frac{1}{2}= C [/tex]

You need to look at your question to find out what the value of the velocity is at t = 0
Once you get that, you'll find a number for C and the velocity is known as a function of time.

Then, you can do the entire same thing :

integrate the formula you found for v(t) to get to x(t)

marlon

1. How do you calculate the position x(t) with constantly changing acceleration?

To calculate the position x(t) with constantly changing acceleration, you can use the formula x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What is the significance of constantly changing acceleration in finding position x(t)?

Constantly changing acceleration is important because it affects the rate at which an object's position changes over time. This means that the position x(t) will not be a linear function, but rather a curved function that takes into account the changing acceleration.

3. Can you provide an example of a real-life scenario where finding position x(t) with constantly changing acceleration is important?

One example could be a roller coaster ride, where the acceleration of the roller coaster car is constantly changing due to the twists and turns of the track. Calculating the position x(t) with constantly changing acceleration can help engineers design safe and thrilling roller coasters.

4. How does the velocity of an object affect the position x(t) with constantly changing acceleration?

The velocity of an object is the rate of change of its position over time. In the formula for finding position x(t) with constantly changing acceleration, the velocity term (v0t) is added to the position at time t=0 (x0) to account for the initial velocity of the object.

5. What are some techniques for graphically representing position x(t) with constantly changing acceleration?

One technique is to plot the position x(t) on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, creating a position vs. time graph. Another technique is to plot the velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, creating a velocity vs. time graph. Both of these graphs can provide a visual representation of how the position changes over time with constantly changing acceleration.