Finding the Root of a Transcendental Equation with Sinh

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Shukie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Shukie
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
I have the following equation:

[tex]2a \sinh(\frac{25}{a}) = 51[/tex]

How do I solve this for a?

I tried changing it to:

[tex]a(e^{\frac{25}{a}} - e^{\frac{-25}{a}}) = 51[/tex], but that didn't get me any further. Anyone?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if it weren't for that overall multiplicative factor of [itex]a[/itex] on the LHS, you could multiply both sides by e^(25/a) to get a quadratic equation in terms of e^(25/a). But, that [itex]a[/itex] ruins everything, leaving you with a transcendental equation that I'm afraid you'll have to solve numerically (or perhaps in terms of the lambert W function), I believe.