Finding the side length of an equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
A13235378
Messages
50
Reaction score
10
Homework Statement
When a ray of sunlight enters a drop of water, it undergoes multiple internal reflections accompanied by partial transmissions out of the drop. Consider an ABCDE ray that undergoes a single internal reflection before emerging from the drop (Figure). The primary rainbow is formed when the deviation θ is minimal. Show that this happens for an incidence angle θ1r such that
Relevant Equations
n1sen theta1 = n2 sen theta 2
1601465997193.png
1601466006365.png


Sem título 1.png

I drew the red and green tangent lines and I found that the angles in blue are equal to theta 1. Also , as the BCD triangle is equilateral, theta 2 = 30. With this I can calculate the side of this equilateral triangle as a function of the radius R of the circumference. After that, I can't go on. My only problem is not the physical itself, but the geometry. How can I finish?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
A13235378 said:
as the BCD triangle is equilateral
Oh, is it ? How do you prove that ? 🤔

The primary rainbow is formed when the deviation θ is minimal.
What do you usually have to do to find a minimum ?
 
BvU said:
Oh, is it ? How do you prove that ? 🤔

What do you usually have to do to find a minimum ?

So I may have rushed, because I thought that by law of reflection

BCO = OCD.

So BOC = COD

This is in fact but I cannot say that this third angle that completes an entire arc is also the same.

I really rushed, I ask for forgiveness
 
So it is isosceles.
(if AB is closer to the horizontal axis you can see BD is not necessarily the same length as BO )

What can you do to find an expression for ##\theta## ?
 
BvU said:
So it is isosceles.
(if AB is closer to the horizontal axis you can see BD is not necessarily the same length as BO )

What can you do to find an expression for ##\theta## ?

Sem título 1.png


I don't know if it's right, but I kind of considered the prism where S is the opening. The minimum deviation is given by the formula

D = 2i - S

Where i is the incident angle. ##\theta_1##

But also the angle I marked in orange is 4 ##\theta_2##

So I found that:

##\theta## = 2 ##\theta_1## + 4 ##\theta_2## - ##\pi##

Am I right?

If so, how can I proceed now to arrive at the result?
 
Please don't go hunting for some formula in the book. You know the incident angle ##\theta_1## and then Snell gives you ##\theta_2##. The outgoing process is similar.
That and the symmetry is sufficient to determine all the angles using high school geometry Then you need to show that the outgoing angle has a maximum.
Just write down all the angles at point B in terms of ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## to start.