Triangle inscribed in a circle

In summary: Can you please provide more information so that I can help you?AC=AD=DC because point A and C have the same distance from point DThis is a basic law of geometry.
Kolika28

Homework Statement

26637957_1034017626741529_720117907_n.jpg
[/B]
In a circle with center S, DB is the diameter. The line AC goes 90 degrees from the center point M of the line SB. "
What type of triangle is ACD?

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see it is an equilateral triangle, but do not know how to explain it. I know it has something to do with the center of the circle S. I believe it may have something to do with the line SM as it goes through the midpoint of the side AS. But I do not know what to do after this, I'm really lost.
I really appreciate some help :)

Attachments

• 26637957_1034017626741529_720117907_n.jpg
    26637957_1034017626741529_720117907_n.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,000
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please give the entire question exactly as stated. Also provide your own attempt and what ideas you have in more detail.

Ok, I will edit the question

Which line has the same length?

I have also been thinking that since the line AC goes 90 degrees through the center point M on SB and therefor also line DB , AD=DC because point A and C have the same distance from point D. But then again, how can I prove that AC is equal to the other sides?

Last edited:
Kolika28 said:
I can see it is an equilateral triangle
Never base your reasoning on how a drawing looks. It can easily mislead you. I am not saying that your conclusion here is wrong, just do not trust figures. Let the maths speak for itself.

Kolika28 said:
AD=DC because point A and C have the same distance from point D
This much is true and it follows directly from symmetry. So you have at least shown that the triangle is an isosceles triangle. It remains to find the distance of AC, or the distance AM, which will give you the distance AC. What can you say about the distances SM and SA? How do they relate to the distance AM?

Ups.. Sorry.. I am new here.. Wehre i can Read the guideline?

Kolika28 said:
I have also been thinking that since the line AC goes 90 degrees through the center point M on SB and therefor also line DB , AD=DC because point A and C have the same distance from point D. But then again, how can I prove that AC is equal to the other sides?
for my method is that first find a proof that AC AD CD are the same length. how to proof that? I think the S point can give a clue/

If SB is equal to the radius r, in terms of r, what is the length of SM? What is the sine of angle SAM?

Chestmiller, the sine of the angle SAM will then be 0.5r/r?

Kolika28 said:
Chestmiller, the sine of the angle SAM will then be 0.5r/r?
Can't you cancel the r's? What angle has this value for its sine?

The value will then be 0.5 and the angle SAM must be 30 degrees. Which means that the triangle AMS is as 30,60,90 triangle.

Can you prove that triangles SAM and DAM are similar triangles?

Both triangels share the same angle M and the side AM.

Kolika28 said:
Both triangels share the same angle M and the side AM.
That is not sufficient to prove that they are similar. You need to show that all three angles are equal.

I'm sorry, but I'm lost right now.

1. What is a triangle inscribed in a circle?

A triangle inscribed in a circle is a triangle whose vertices all lie on the circumference of a circle.

2. What is the relationship between a triangle inscribed in a circle and the circle itself?

The sides of a triangle inscribed in a circle are the chords of the circle, while the vertices of the triangle are the points of tangency between the circle and the triangle's sides.

3. How is the area of a triangle inscribed in a circle calculated?

The area of a triangle inscribed in a circle can be calculated using the formula A = rs, where A is the area, r is the radius of the circle, and s is the semiperimeter of the triangle.

4. What is the circumcircle of a triangle inscribed in a circle?

The circumcircle of a triangle inscribed in a circle is the circle that passes through all three vertices of the triangle and has its center at the same point as the circle in which the triangle is inscribed.

5. How many different triangles can be inscribed in a given circle?

There are infinitely many triangles that can be inscribed in a given circle, as long as the triangle's vertices all lie on the circle's circumference.