Finding the Simplest Polynomial for a Series

In summary, a polynomial is an algebraic expression that involves variables, coefficients, and exponents, while a series is a sum of a sequence of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern. Finding the simplest polynomial for a series is important as it allows for a concise and efficient representation of complex data and helps in solving mathematical problems. This can be achieved by analyzing the data and using techniques such as the method of differences or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is possible for there to be more than one simplest polynomial for a series, so it is important to choose the one that best fits the data and follows the principle of Occam's razor.
PEZenfuego
I cannot for the life of me remember where I learned to do this nor can I remember why this works, but I know a method for finding the simplest polynomial for a series. I had something half typed up and then I found this site: http://www.johansens.us/sane/technotes/formula.htm which explains a method more thoroughly. While this is not identical to the way I do it, it is certainly similar enough.

So why does this work?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression that consists of variables, coefficients, and exponents, combined using the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can have one or more terms, with each term containing one or more variables raised to a non-negative integer power.

What is a series?

A series is a sum of a sequence of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern. It can be finite, with a specific number of terms, or it can be infinite, with an unending number of terms.

Why is finding the simplest polynomial for a series important?

Finding the simplest polynomial for a series is important because it allows us to represent complex data or patterns in a concise and efficient way. It also helps in solving mathematical problems and making predictions based on the given data.

How do you find the simplest polynomial for a series?

To find the simplest polynomial for a series, we need to analyze the given data and look for patterns. We can then use techniques such as the method of differences or the method of undetermined coefficients to determine the terms and coefficients of the polynomial.

Can there be more than one simplest polynomial for a series?

Yes, there can be more than one simplest polynomial for a series. This is because there can be multiple patterns or equations that can fit the given data. It is important to choose the simplest polynomial that accurately represents the data and follows Occam's razor principle of choosing the simplest explanation.