Finding the spring constant of a mass in SHM

In summary, the conversation is discussing problem 3-1 from A.P French's vibrations and waves. The problem involves finding the spring constant for an object of mass 1 g that is set in oscillatory motion on a spring. The initial displacement is given as 43.785 cm and the acceleration is -1.7514 cm/sec^2 at t=0. The individual asking for help has attempted to use the equation ma= -kx, but has not arrived at the correct answer. Another individual suggests considering all the forces at play, including gravity. They also mention that the laws of motion must consider all forces. The original individual then asks if their equation of ma- mg= -kx is correct, to which
KiNGGeexD
Question:

This is question from A.P French vibrations and waves, problem 3-1 for anyone whom may have it

An object of mass 1 g is hung from a spring and set in oscillatory motion. At t=0 the displacement is 43.785 cm and the acceleration is -1.7514 cm/sec^2. What is the spring constant?

My attempt:

I thought this problem straight forward and used

ma= -kx

using the numbers above but it gave the wrong answer? And I changed everything into S.I units I should also say

The answer is 0.025 N/m or 25 dyn/cm

I have been messing around with this for a while and gotten no where close to the correct answer! Rather frustrating considering it is such a straight forward problem Any help would be great thanks in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered ALL the forces working on the object? Make sure For something to hang from a spring, what force is required?

Gravity would be required! But is it not true that simple harmonic motion obeys the same laws in the vertical direction as it does in the horizontal?

The laws of motion (simple harmonic and otherwise) must consider ALL the forces.

Would I just then have

ma- mg= -kx

I think you have included all the relevant forces. What answer do you get? Does it agree with the given answer? If not, is the given answer rounded? Are the initial conditions you posted the actual ones given in the problem (transcription errors are common)?

Finally, it never hurts to check that all your displacements, accelerations and forces are consistent with your choice of coordinate system.

Sorry I can't be more explicit. I have been admonished in the past for being too helpful.

My answer came out to be

26 dyn/cm

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

2. How do you find the spring constant of a mass in SHM?

The spring constant can be found by dividing the force acting on the mass by the displacement from equilibrium. This can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is equal to the spring constant multiplied by the displacement.

3. What is the formula for calculating the spring constant?

The formula for calculating the spring constant is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force acting on the mass, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

4. What units are used to measure the spring constant?

The spring constant is typically measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m) in the SI system and pounds per inch (lbs/in) in the imperial system.

5. How does the mass of the object affect the spring constant in SHM?

The spring constant is independent of the mass of the object in SHM. This means that the spring constant remains constant regardless of the mass of the object attached to the spring. However, the period of the motion may be affected by the mass, as a heavier object may require more force to oscillate at the same frequency as a lighter object.