A mass is dropped on a plate that's suspended from a spring

In summary, a mass (m) falls from a height (h) and lands on a pan attached to a spring with constant (k). The amplitude of oscillation can be calculated using the equation x = sqrt(2mgh/k), where x is the total extension. The mean position can be found by dividing mg/k. This system conserves mechanical energy, even though the collision between the mass and pan is inelastic. The author of the problem may have made the pan massless for simplicity, but a solution can still be found if the pan has mass using momentum conservation. The clause "m does not bounce" could mean that the mass does not bounce off the pan upon impact or that it remains attached to the pan after oscill
Vriska

Homework Statement

a load of mass m falls a height h onto a pan hung from a spring. if the spring constant is k and the pan is massless and m does not bounce, the amplitude of oscillation is

Homework Equations

F = - kx

U = 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh = 1/2kx^2, x = sqrt(2mgh/k).this is total extension. Now mg/k will give us the mean position

sqrt(2mgh/k) - mg/k should be the amplitude? Well
its wrong though :|

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider mechanical energy conservation from point A (where the mass first makes contact) to point B where the mass is at the lowest point of its motion. Write ΔK + ΔU = 0. Note that ΔU has two terms, spring and gravity.

kuruman said:
Consider mechanical energy conservation from point A (where the mass first makes contact) to point B where the mass is at the lowest point of its motion. Write ΔK + ΔU = 0. Note that ΔU has two terms, spring and gravity.
okay, I gotit thanks!

@kuruman , the setup of the problem is quite interesting , in the sense that even though collision between mass and pan is inelastic , the total mechanical energy is conserved .

I find this bit unusual .

conscience said:
@kuruman , the setup of the problem is quite interesting , in the sense that even though collision between mass and pan is inelastic , the total mechanical energy is conserved .
I find this bit unusual .
Yes, I think the author of the problem made the pan massless to simplify it. It's the same situation as the more commonly seen problem of a mass colliding with a spring - no platform. If the pan has mass, then momentum conservation gives the speed of the oscillator as ##v_A = (m~\sqrt{2gh})/(m+m_{pan})##. At this point one would have to solve
$$\frac{1}{2}k\left[ \frac{(m+m_{pan})g}{k} \right]^2+\frac{1}{2}(m+m_{pan})\left[ \frac{m~\sqrt{2gh}}{m+m_{pan}} \right]^2=\frac{1}{2}kA^2$$
for ##A##. In the limit ##m_{pan} \rightarrow 0,## one gets the same equation as would be obtained with energy conservation. I find that comforting.

Likes conscience
kuruman said:
Yes, I think the author of the problem made the pan massless to simplify it. It's the same situation as the more commonly seen problem of a mass colliding with a spring - no platform. If the pan has mass, then momentum conservation gives the speed of the oscillator as ##v_A = (m~\sqrt{2gh})/(m+m_{pan})##. At this point one would have to solve
$$\frac{1}{2}k\left[ \frac{(m+m_{pan})g}{k} \right]^2+\frac{1}{2}(m+m_{pan})\left[ \frac{m~\sqrt{2gh}}{m+m_{pan}} \right]^2=\frac{1}{2}kA^2$$
for ##A##. In the limit ##m_{pan} \rightarrow 0,## one gets the same equation as would be obtained with energy conservation. I find that comforting.

Nice analysis !

Vriska said:
m does not bounce
How are you reading this clause? That m does not bounce from the pan on impact? Or that m does not leave the pan after the oscillation has returned it to the impact point (i.e. glue on the surface of the pan)?

jbriggs444 said:
How are you reading this clause? That m does not bounce from the pan on impact? Or that m does not leave the pan after the oscillation has returned it to the impact point (i.e. glue on the surface of the pan)?
Velcro? Wet toilet paper?

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the purpose of the plate and spring in this experiment?

The plate and spring are used to demonstrate the concept of potential and kinetic energy. The plate represents the potential energy, while the spring represents the kinetic energy.

2. How does the mass affect the motion of the plate and spring?

The mass affects the motion by adding weight to the plate, causing it to stretch the spring and increase the potential energy. As the mass is dropped, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the plate and spring to oscillate.

3. What factors can affect the oscillation of the plate and spring?

The factors that can affect the oscillation include the weight of the mass, the height at which it is dropped, the stiffness of the spring, and the presence of any external forces such as air resistance.

4. What is the relationship between the period of oscillation and the spring constant?

The period of oscillation is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the period of oscillation decreases, and vice versa.

5. How can this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

This experiment can be applied in situations where potential and kinetic energy are involved, such as in building structures, bridge construction, and even in sports equipment design. It can also be used to understand the behavior of springs in different systems and industries.