A mass is dropped on a plate that's suspended from a spring

• Thread starter Vriska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    shm

Homework Statement

a load of mass m falls a height h onto a pan hung from a spring. if the spring constant is k and the pan is massless and m does not bounce, the amplitude of oscillation is

Homework Equations

F = - kx

U = 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh = 1/2kx^2, x = sqrt(2mgh/k).this is total extension. Now mg/k will give us the mean position

sqrt(2mgh/k) - mg/k should be the amplitude? Well
its wrong though :|

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider mechanical energy conservation from point A (where the mass first makes contact) to point B where the mass is at the lowest point of its motion. Write ΔK + ΔU = 0. Note that ΔU has two terms, spring and gravity.

Consider mechanical energy conservation from point A (where the mass first makes contact) to point B where the mass is at the lowest point of its motion. Write ΔK + ΔU = 0. Note that ΔU has two terms, spring and gravity.
okay, I gotit thanks!

@kuruman , the setup of the problem is quite interesting , in the sense that even though collision between mass and pan is inelastic , the total mechanical energy is conserved .

I find this bit unusual .

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
@kuruman , the setup of the problem is quite interesting , in the sense that even though collision between mass and pan is inelastic , the total mechanical energy is conserved .
I find this bit unusual .
Yes, I think the author of the problem made the pan massless to simplify it. It's the same situation as the more commonly seen problem of a mass colliding with a spring - no platform. If the pan has mass, then momentum conservation gives the speed of the oscillator as ##v_A = (m~\sqrt{2gh})/(m+m_{pan})##. At this point one would have to solve
$$\frac{1}{2}k\left[ \frac{(m+m_{pan})g}{k} \right]^2+\frac{1}{2}(m+m_{pan})\left[ \frac{m~\sqrt{2gh}}{m+m_{pan}} \right]^2=\frac{1}{2}kA^2$$
for ##A##. In the limit ##m_{pan} \rightarrow 0,## one gets the same equation as would be obtained with energy conservation. I find that comforting.

Yes, I think the author of the problem made the pan massless to simplify it. It's the same situation as the more commonly seen problem of a mass colliding with a spring - no platform. If the pan has mass, then momentum conservation gives the speed of the oscillator as ##v_A = (m~\sqrt{2gh})/(m+m_{pan})##. At this point one would have to solve
$$\frac{1}{2}k\left[ \frac{(m+m_{pan})g}{k} \right]^2+\frac{1}{2}(m+m_{pan})\left[ \frac{m~\sqrt{2gh}}{m+m_{pan}} \right]^2=\frac{1}{2}kA^2$$
for ##A##. In the limit ##m_{pan} \rightarrow 0,## one gets the same equation as would be obtained with energy conservation. I find that comforting.

Nice analysis !

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
m does not bounce
How are you reading this clause? That m does not bounce from the pan on impact? Or that m does not leave the pan after the oscillation has returned it to the impact point (i.e. glue on the surface of the pan)?

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
How are you reading this clause? That m does not bounce from the pan on impact? Or that m does not leave the pan after the oscillation has returned it to the impact point (i.e. glue on the surface of the pan)?
Velcro? Wet toilet paper?