Finding the Stretch of a Hanging Mass on a Spring

  • Thread starter Thread starter moonbase
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
moonbase
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A spring with spring constant k = 50 N/m and unstretched length of L is attached to the ceiling. A block of mass m = 1.5 kg is hung gently on the end of the spring. How far does the spring stretch?

Homework Equations


PEspring=0.5kx2
Fspring=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution


When the mass hangs at rest at its lowest point where the spring is stretched the furthest, its weight is exerting a force of 14.7 N on the spring. Likewise, the spring should be exerting that same force on the mass, but plugging that into the force equation by dividing 14.7 by 50 gives an x value of 0.29 m, but this is incorrect. I must be overlooking something since I know I probably have to use the potential energy equation too. Any know what I'm doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any particular units that they want the result expressed in? The force balance approach should be correct.
 
Oh, apparently I was right, it was the significant figures that were saying it was wrong. Thanks anyway!