Finding the Sum of Convergent Series t^(-n^2) for n=1 to ∞

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nipunmalhotra
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergent Series Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
nipunmalhotra
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
what is the sum of the following series? I know it's convergent (using ratio test) but I'm not able to work it out :(
S=t^(-1) + t^(-4)+t^(-9)...t^(k^2)...to ∞
where t>1
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
S = [θ3(1/t)-1]/2, where θ3 is a Jacobi theta function. I strongly suspect S is transcendental for integer t, but couldn't easily find a good reference, nor a convincing argument.
 
Hey everyone
Im a maths tutor and this question was given to one of my students. i may be thinking about it to cryptically so i thought id post it

5,9,13 ,27,,,217

i have posted it to various other pupils but no one has gotten it yet.