Finding the time that a ball is in air, using projectile motion kinematics.

In summary, a ball is thrown from the top of a building at an angle of 35 degrees with an initial speed of 10 m/s and a height of 43 m above the ground. Using the kinematics equations and the acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s2, the time of flight can be determined by considering the whole trajectory. The equation of motion for the vertical direction is used to find the time of flight, taking into account the initial y-velocity and height. It is important to remember that gravity will be negative as the ball travels upwards, resulting in a positive value for time.
garcia1

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown from the top of a building upward at an angle of 35◦ to the horizontal and with an initial speed of 10 m/s. The ball is thrown at a height of 43 m above the ground.
How long is the ball “in flight”? The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of s.

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations and their vector components

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to try breaking this problem up into two different segments and solve for the time of each of them.

segment one, I wanted to find the time of the ball as it arcs at the angle of 35 degrees until it begins to descend past the height from which it was thrown.

I decided to find the y component of the velocity by using trigonometry. I used the equation sin(35) = Vy/10m/s and solved for Vy, getting 5.736.

Since this velocity points downward as it ascends, I labeled this velocity as the Vf of this segment, -5.736m/s.

Using kinematics equation Vf = Vo +at, I solved for t, using Vo as the point where Vy is at the top, with no movement, 0m/s.

My answer was -.5847s, so I'm not sure if I messed up on my conceptual layout or if I can just interpret this segment as a positive, since time can only be positive.

Past this, I'm pretty lost. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's really no need to break the motion down into segments. The basic kinematics equation covers the whole trajectory.

You have an initial y-velocity (you found this already), and an initial height (43m). What's the equation of motion for the motion in the vertical direction?

garcia1 said:
My answer was -.5847s, so I'm not sure if I messed up on my conceptual layout or if I can just interpret this segment as a positive, since time can only be positive.

Remember that the gravity will be negative as the ball is traveling upwards.

I haven't seen your workings, but I think you put gravity as positive, and hence got a negative value for time.

1. How do you determine the time a ball is in the air using projectile motion kinematics?

To determine the time a ball is in the air using projectile motion kinematics, you need to know the initial velocity, launch angle, and height of the ball. These values can be used in the equation t = (2 * v * sinθ) / g, where t is the time, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that air resistance is negligible.

2. What is projectile motion kinematics?

Projectile motion kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are launched into the air and move under the influence of gravity. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object in order to understand its motion.

3. Can projectile motion kinematics be used for objects other than balls?

Yes, projectile motion kinematics can be applied to any object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. This can include projectiles such as arrows, bullets, or even objects thrown by humans.

4. How does air resistance affect the time a ball is in the air using projectile motion kinematics?

Air resistance can affect the time a ball is in the air by slowing it down and causing it to travel a shorter distance. This can be accounted for in calculations by using more complex equations that take into account air resistance. However, for most practical purposes, air resistance can be ignored and the basic projectile motion kinematics equation can be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of projectile motion kinematics?

Projectile motion kinematics has many real-world applications, including sports such as baseball, football, and golf. It is also used in military applications for aiming and firing weapons. In addition, it is essential in understanding the motion of objects in outer space, such as satellites and rockets.