1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the wavelength on a sinusoidal wave on a string

1. Mar 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, this is a problem regarding mathematical descriptions of waves. I've attached an imagine of the picture but I'll also type out the problem for clarity.
    "A sinusoidal wave is propagating along a stretched string that lies on the x-axis. The distplacement of the string as a function of time is graphed in Fig.E11 for particles x=0m and at x=0.09m. (a) What is the amplitude of the wave? (b) What is the period of the wave? (c) You are told that the two points x=0 and x=0.09 are within one wavelength of each other. If the wave is moving in the +x-direction, determine the wavelength and wave speed."
    2. Relevant equations
    [itex]k=2\pi/\lambda[/itex]
    [itex]y(x,t)=Acos(kx+\omega t)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) from reading off the graph you can see at the amplitude is 4mm or 0.004m

(b) from reading off the graph you can see that the period = 0.04s

(c) this is where I got confused. I thought about making simultaneous equations using x=0 and x=0.09. I figure that the answer involves using the fact that [itex]k=2\pi/\lambda[/itex] but I'm a little unsure.
    I started playing with the idea that when y=0 and t=0 [itex]0.004cos(kx)=0[/itex] and therefore [itex]cos(kx)=0[/itex] and [itex]kx=n\pi/2[/itex] however that's not particularly helpful since I don't know the value of x. If anyone could give me a hint or put me on the right track it'd be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2015 #2
    Wouldn't this mean the wavelength is 0.09m?
    How are frequency, wavelength and speed related?

Correct
    Correct

4. Mar 31, 2015 #3
    Well it just says that they're within one wavelength, so the wavelength could be bigger than 0.09m? I know that [itex]v=\lambda f[/itex] but this doesn't help since I only know the frequency.

5. Mar 31, 2015 #4
    Oh, my bad, I thought the points are one wavelength away from each other. Anyway, v=λf=λ/T still holds.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted