1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the weight supported and at what angle

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://session.masteringengineering.com/problemAsset/1119613/27/1119613_001.jpg

Rope BCA passes through a pulley at point C and supports a crate at point A. Rope segment CD supports the pulley and is attached to an eye anchor embedded in a wall. Rope segment BC creates an angle of Phi = 55.0 with the floor and rope segment CD creates an angle theta with the horizontal. If both ropes BCA and CD can support a maximum tensile force Tmax = 125 , what is the maximum weight Wmax of the crate that the system can support? What is the angle theta required for equilibrium?

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I need to break it down in the components and go from there, but I am not sure how to factor in the max tensile strength. I would like to use and x-y coordinate system starting at the pulley with positive x going left and positive y going up.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2
    Vector sum of AC and BC equal to CD.
    |AC|=|BC|

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  4. Sep 3, 2012 #3
    Sorry, but could you give me a little more direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook