1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A 165N sled is pulled a distance of 205m. What angle?

1. Nov 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 165N sled is pulled a distance of 205m. The task requires 5200J of work to overcome friction and is done by pulling a rope at what angle? Coefficient of friction is 0.25.

2. Relevant equations
    W= Fdcos@ (@ for theta)
    F= ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    My free body diagram had Force applied in the y direction (Fay) and normal force along the positive y axis and weight on the negative y axis. Force applied in the x direcrion (Fax) is on the positive x axis and the force of friction is on the negative y axis.

I tried to solve for a variety of variables, but i can't get the right combination so two unknowns aren't in the same equation. I believe I need to find the force applied before I can get theta.

I solved that Ff = Facos@ (Force applied in the x direction)

For the y direction:
    Fasin@ = -N + W
    I solved for Fa then..
    Fa= (-N+W)/sin@

I plugged that back into Ff= Facos@
    Ff= cos@* (-N+W)/sin@

However, normal force is another unknown. I'm not sure where else to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2
    I think you meant "force of friction is on the negative x axis", true?

Where does the 5200 J and 205 meter distance and 0.25 coeff. of friction come into play . . . or not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted