Finding the yearly income from energy in W

In summary, the potential energy lost every second by water falling over Niagara Falls is 1*10^9 J. If this could be converted into electrical energy, it would have a power output of 1*10^9 W. If the energy was sold at an industrial rate of 0.8 cents per kW-hour, the yearly income would be 2.52*10^11 dollars.
SereneKi

Homework Statement

Approximately 1.7*10^6 kg of water drops 60 m over Niagara Falls every second. 1*10^9 J of potential energy is lost every second by the falling water. If an electrical generating plant could convert all of the potential energy into electrical energy it would have a power output of 1*10^9 W. If the utility company sold this energy at an industrial rate of 0.8 cents per kW-hour, what would their yearly income be from this source (give your energy in dollars)?

Homework Equations

1 kW =1000 W
365 days=1 year
8760 hours = 1 year

The Attempt at a Solution

1*10^9 W -> 1*10^6 kW

1*10^6 kW * 60 sec/min * 60 min/hour = 3.6 *10^9

3.6 *10^9 * 0.008 = 2.88*10^7

2.88*10^7 * 8760 = 2.52*10^11

it says this is wrong. I have one shot left. what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
This bit is wrong..

1*10^6 kW * 60 sec/min * 60 min/hour = 3.6 *10^9

If the output is 1*10^6 kW then after one hour it has delivered 1*10^6 kWH. You only need to multiply that by the number of hours there are in a year and the price per kWH.

1. What is the formula for finding yearly income from energy in W?

The formula for finding yearly income from energy in W is: Yearly Income = Energy in W x Time x Price per W

2. How do I convert energy in kWh to energy in W?

To convert energy in kWh to energy in W, you can use the following formula: Energy in W = Energy in kWh / Time

3. What factors should I consider when calculating yearly income from energy in W?

When calculating yearly income from energy in W, you should consider the energy production of your source (e.g. solar panels), the time period (usually a year), and the price per W that you are selling the energy for.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate yearly income from energy for different sources?

Yes, the formula for finding yearly income from energy in W can be used for various sources, as long as you have the energy production, time period, and price per W values for that specific source.

5. How can I use this calculation to make informed decisions about my energy usage?

By finding your yearly income from energy in W, you can compare it to your energy expenses and determine if it is more cost-effective to invest in alternative energy sources. It can also help you track your energy usage and make adjustments to reduce your expenses.