1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding time for a particular position of vertically thrown baseball

1. Jul 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A baseball pitcher makes a big mistake and throws the ball straight up. If it reaches a maximum height of 15 m. Find the times when the ball was 8.0 m above the ground.
    I already solved the variables needed
    Vi= 17 m/s
    Time the ball spent in the air= 3.5 s
    average velocity= 8.6 m/s
    balls velocity when its displacement equals to 8.0= ±12 m/s
    a= -9.8 m/s2

2. Relevant equations
    Vf2=vi2+2ad
    Vf=Vi+at
    d=Vit+½at2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I managed to find the first time by finding the balls velocity when its first 8.0 m from the ground by using the equation Vf2=vi2+2ad then plugging that into Vf=Vi+at to get a time of 0.56 s. But I just can't seem to be able to find the time for when the ball comes back down and crosses the 8.0 m mark again.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When solving Vf2=vi2+2ad for Vf, you take a square root. But this gives two possible answers.
    For example, the two solutions of x2 = 4 are x = 2 and x = -2.

4. Jul 12, 2016 #3
    Well the answer is a positive because I was solving it for when the ball was hitting the 8.0 m mark while going up. But it's the coming back down part I have trouble with.

5. Jul 12, 2016 #4
    I managed to get the answer. Thanks for helping :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted