Finding constant acceleration without time

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of electrons in an X-ray tube given their final velocity and distance traveled. The appropriate equation is Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, which can also be seen as a description of work done by a constant force. This equation is part of the five standard SUVAT equations and does not require time to solve. It can also be derived from the concept of energy and work.
Uriah Graves

Homework Statement

[/B]
An X-ray tube gives electrons constant acceleration over a distance of 14 cm . If their final speed is 1.0×107 m/s , what are the electrons' acceleration?
Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

My prof. has provided me with a series of kinematic equations to use to solve for constant acceleration. None of them allow me to solve this without "t" time. This problem does not give me time. For this reason, I resorted to the internet to get help.

I have noticed many people use a = [Vf2 - Vi2] / [2d] for a very similar question, but I am unsure where that formula comes from, as I thought acceleration was a difference of velocity/time, not a difference of velocity/2*distance.

I have solved this equation with Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad. I am not sure where this formula comes from either, but using it worked.

The Attempt at a Solution

3.6*10^14 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Uriah Graves said:
My prof. has provided me with a series of kinematic equations to use to solve for constant acceleration. None of them allow me to solve this without "t" time.
There are five standard equations for constant acceleration. Using u and v for initial and final velocities and a, s (your d), and t as the others, they are known as the SUVAT equations. (Google that.) Each equation omits one of the five, so yes, there is one without time. These are worth learning.
Uriah Graves said:
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
That is indeed the equation, and it is the same as the other you quoted, just rearranged. (Vf2 meaning Vf2.)

I will Google that! This is exactly why I am here! Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post! I genuinely appreciate it!

Uriah Graves said:
I have solved this equation with Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad. I am not sure where this formula comes from either, but using it worked.
One way of looking at this equation is as a description of work done by a constant force. Multiply every term by m. Now you have $$mv_f^2 = mv_i^2 + 2mad$$Now, if we we divide every term by two and substitute in for ##F=ma## we wind up with$$\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 + Fd$$Which is simply a statement that the final energy is equal to the initial energy plus work done.

[I went through first year physics without ever memorizing this particular SUVAT formula. I re-cast every relevant problem in terms of energy and work and solved them that way]

1. How can constant acceleration be found without knowing the time?

The equation for constant acceleration is a = (v - u)/t, where a is acceleration, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and t is time. If we rearrange the equation to solve for time, we get t = (v - u)/a. Therefore, we can find the time by knowing the final and initial velocities, as well as the acceleration.

2. What is the importance of finding constant acceleration without time?

Finding constant acceleration without time allows us to understand the motion of an object without the need for precise timing. This can be useful in situations where time is difficult to measure, such as in high-speed events or when dealing with complex systems.

3. Can constant acceleration be found without any initial or final velocity information?

No, in order to find constant acceleration, we need to have at least two of the three variables: initial velocity, final velocity, and time. Without any velocity information, we cannot determine the acceleration of an object.

4. How does the concept of instantaneous velocity relate to finding constant acceleration without time?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. In order to find constant acceleration without time, we need to know the initial and final velocities, which can be thought of as the instantaneous velocities at the beginning and end of the motion.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding constant acceleration without time?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using graphs and equations of motion to determine the acceleration of an object. These methods may require additional information, such as displacement or velocity at different points in time, but can also be used to find constant acceleration without knowing the time.