Finding Time when given velocity, distance, and mass

In summary, the conversation is about using a kinematic equation to solve for time in a physics problem. The equation Vf=Vi+g*t is suggested as a possible solution, and it is confirmed to be correct if the body's motion is influenced by constant gravity. The given variables are mass, initial and final velocity, distance, and gravity (1/6 of Earth's).
fantasy15

Homework Statement

I only need help with a portion of a problem. I'd rather not post the entire question, its very long. I just need to know which kinematic equation I can use to solve for time.
I'm given:
-Mass
-Velocity (Initial and Final)
-Distance
-Gravity (1/6 of Earth's)

Homework Equations

I was thinking about using Vf=Vi+g*t

The Attempt at a Solution

Vf=Vi+g*t
Vf-Vi=g*t
(Vf-Vi)/g=t

Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fantasy15. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

If the body's motion is influenced by gravity alone, and gravity is constant, then that equation is applicable.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for finding time when given velocity, distance, and mass?

The formula for finding time in this scenario is t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is velocity.

2. Can this formula be used for any situation involving velocity, distance, and mass?

Yes, this formula is applicable for any situation where velocity, distance, and mass are involved, as long as the units are consistent.

3. How does mass affect the time calculation?

Mass does not directly affect the time calculation in this scenario. Time is only affected by distance and velocity, as shown in the formula t = d/v.

4. What units should be used for distance, velocity, and time in this formula?

The units used for distance, velocity, and time should be consistent. For example, if distance is measured in meters, then velocity should be in meters per second and time will be in seconds.

5. Can this formula be used for finding time in non-linear motion situations?

No, this formula is specifically for linear motion situations where the velocity is constant. For non-linear motion, other formulas such as t = ∆v/a or t = ∆x/∆v can be used.