Finding initial velocity when given only mass and distance

In summary, the problem is asking for the initial velocity of a textbook that is kicked a distance of 183 centimeters. The equations provided are used to calculate acceleration and initial velocity, but the lack of information about time, acceleration, and force make it difficult to solve the problem accurately. There may be other factors involved, such as the surface the book is kicked on, which could affect the answer.
jessie763

Homework Statement

A 1.428 kg textbook is kicked 183 centimeters, what is the initial velocity right as it left the foot?

Homework Equations

fk-ma/W
Vf^2=Vo^2*2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

We were given no time, no acceleration, and no force. I'm completely at a loss!
this is what I have, but I don't think it's correct:
I found acceleration by applying the rule: 1N is a force that when applied to object with mass of 1kg, produces an acceleration of 1 m/s^2. So i converted the 1.428 kg into 14.0 N, which (hopefully) means the acceleration is 14 m/s^2
then I used the second equation to solve for initial velocity.

Now, this could be completely wrong, and I will venture to guess that it is. So if maybe someone could double check the work here, or even possibly come up with a completely different way of solving it..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem makes sense if you assume that the book is kicked straight up in the air in which case the mass is irrelevant. If the book slides across a horizontal floor, a higher initial velocity than the expected answer can be compensated by a less slippery floor which means that there is no unique answer. Are you sure you have provided all the information that was given to you?

Likes archaic
I second what kuruman said.
However, I'd like to ask you this: what made you think that there's a force other than that of gravity acting on the book?

1. How do you find initial velocity when given only mass and distance?

To find the initial velocity when given only mass and distance, you can use the formula v = √(2 * m * d), where v is the initial velocity, m is the mass, and d is the distance. This formula is derived from the equation for kinetic energy, 1/2 * m * v^2, and solving for v.

2. Can you explain the concept behind finding initial velocity with only mass and distance?

The concept behind finding initial velocity with only mass and distance is based on the principle of conservation of energy. The initial kinetic energy of an object is equal to the final kinetic energy, so by knowing the mass and distance, we can use the formula for kinetic energy to solve for the initial velocity.

3. Is it possible to find the initial velocity if the mass and distance are not given in standard units?

Yes, it is possible to find the initial velocity even if the mass and distance are not given in standard units. However, it is important to convert them to the appropriate units before using the formula. For example, if the mass is given in kilograms and the distance is given in meters, the resulting velocity will be in meters per second.

4. What other factors can affect the initial velocity of an object?

The initial velocity of an object can also be affected by external forces such as air resistance, friction, and the angle of launch. Additionally, the mass of the object and the type of motion (linear or rotational) can also impact the initial velocity.

5. Can the initial velocity be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity can be negative. A negative initial velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction, which is typically defined as the direction of motion.