• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Finding initial velocity when given only mass and distance

• Thread starter jessie763
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
A 1.428 kg textbook is kicked 183 centimeters, what is the initial velocity right as it left the foot?

2. Homework Equations

fk-ma/W
Vf^2=Vo^2*2aΔx

3. The Attempt at a Solution
We were given no time, no acceleration, and no force. I'm completely at a loss!
this is what I have, but I don't think it's correct:
I found acceleration by applying the rule: 1N is a force that when applied to object with mass of 1kg, produces an acceleration of 1 m/s^2. So i converted the 1.428 kg into 14.0 N, which (hopefully) means the acceleration is 14 m/s^2
then I used the second equation to solve for initial velocity.

Now, this could be completely wrong, and I will venture to guess that it is. So if maybe someone could double check the work here, or even possibly come up with a completely different way of solving it..

Last edited:

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
This problem makes sense if you assume that the book is kicked straight up in the air in which case the mass is irrelevant. If the book slides across a horizontal floor, a higher initial velocity than the expected answer can be compensated by a less slippery floor which means that there is no unique answer. Are you sure you have provided all the information that was given to you?

I second what kuruman said.
However, I'd like to ask you this: what made you think that there's a force other than that of gravity acting on the book?