Finding total force - Is this correct?

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of total force in a weightlifting scenario, where a weight lifter with a mass of 90kg lifts a weight of 50kg with an acceleration of 0.47 m/s^2. The total force is not simply the product of the mass and acceleration, as the force of gravity on the weightlifter and the force applied by the weightlifter to accelerate the weight must also be taken into account. This can be calculated using Newton's third law.
nukeman

Homework Statement

A weight lifter who has a mass of 90kg lifts a weight of 50kg, which accelerates the weight at a rate of 0.47 m/s^2

Would the total force simply be (140kg)*(0.47m/s^2) = 65.8 n?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
nukeman said:

Homework Statement

A weight lifter who has a mass of 90kg lifts a weight of 50kg, which accelerates the weight at a rate of 0.47 m/s^2

Would the total force simply be (140kg)*(0.47m/s^2) = 65.8 n?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

That would actually be your net force. You forgot the force of gravity.

Additionally, I don't think the weightlifter is accelerating into the air - only the weight.

ahh, net force.

Can you possibly point me in the right direction for total force for my example?

Can anyone else help me out with this one?

You have the force of gravity on the weightlifter.

You not only have the force of gravity on the weight, but the weightlifter is applying a force to accelerate it.

This would be the total force applied to the floor the weightlifter is standing on.

BobG said:
You have the force of gravity on the weightlifter.

You not only have the force of gravity on the weight, but the weightlifter is applying a force to accelerate it.

This would be the total force applied to the floor the weightlifter is standing on.

Thank you... How would I calculate this?

So, I am asking to identify which laws are being used.

This would be Newtons 3rd correct?

1. What is total force?

Total force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is a vector quantity and is measured in Newtons (N).

2. How do you calculate total force?

To find the total force on an object, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on it. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you simply add their magnitudes. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one.

3. Is the total force the same as net force?

Yes, total force and net force are often used interchangeably. Net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object, whereas total force is the overall force acting on an object.

4. Can total force be negative?

Yes, total force can be negative if the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions and have different magnitudes. In this case, the total force is equal to the difference between the two forces, and its direction is determined by the larger force.

5. Are there different methods for finding total force?

Yes, there are various methods for calculating total force, depending on the situation. Some common methods include using vector diagrams, using trigonometry and using equations such as Newton's second law (F=ma) or the law of universal gravitation.