Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding transformations and base function of quadratic equation.

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For each of the following, identify the base function and describe the transformation(s):
    f(x)=-4(3x)^2 + 5

2. Relevant equations

f(x) = -4(3x)^2 + 5

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright so my attempt at figuring out the requested answers are:

Base function = x^2
    - has been shifted up 5 units
    - has been vertically stretched by 3
    - reflected in the x-axis by -4

At this moment I'm really confused on my answer. I have a feeling that there is more to it and that I got a couple of things wrong but I just can't figure out what... could someone please help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Order might make a difference. If you start on the "inside" the order would be:
    vertically stretched by 3 (maybe you would say by 32?)
    reflected in the x axis and vertically stretched by 4 (could be in either order)
    shifted up 5 units.

4. Mar 6, 2012 #3

Yay, basically my answers are on point I just need to work on my arrangement in order for it to make better sense. I'll definitely work on that. Thank you for your time and help.

On a side note, do you know if it will be alright for me to make posts asking PF contributors to help me check my answers in the homework section or should I maintain to making posts only when I am in need of help?

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

People often ask for others to look over their work. I don't think there is any problem with that.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook