1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding transformations and base function of quadratic equation.

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For each of the following, identify the base function and describe the transformation(s):
    f(x)=-4(3x)^2 + 5

2. Relevant equations

f(x) = -4(3x)^2 + 5

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright so my attempt at figuring out the requested answers are:

Base function = x^2
    - has been shifted up 5 units
    - has been vertically stretched by 3
    - reflected in the x-axis by -4

At this moment I'm really confused on my answer. I have a feeling that there is more to it and that I got a couple of things wrong but I just can't figure out what... could someone please help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Order might make a difference. If you start on the "inside" the order would be:
    vertically stretched by 3 (maybe you would say by 32?)
    reflected in the x axis and vertically stretched by 4 (could be in either order)
    shifted up 5 units.

4. Mar 6, 2012 #3

Yay, basically my answers are on point I just need to work on my arrangement in order for it to make better sense. I'll definitely work on that. Thank you for your time and help.

On a side note, do you know if it will be alright for me to make posts asking PF contributors to help me check my answers in the homework section or should I maintain to making posts only when I am in need of help?

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

People often ask for others to look over their work. I don't think there is any problem with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook