Finding Triangle Area using Cross Product

In summary, to find the area of a triangle with points P=(0,4,4), Q=(2,-6,-5), and R=(-3,-5,6), we can use the cross product of the vectors PQ and PR, and then divide by 2. This gives us an area of approximately 57.0833.
the7joker7

Homework Statement

Find the area of a triangle `PQR`, where `P=(0,4,4)`, `Q=(2,-6,-5)`, and `R=(-3,-5,6)`

The Attempt at a Solution

The vector PQ = (2, -10, -9)
The vector PR = (-3, -9, 2)

Using matrixes I set up something that looks like this...

I J K
2 -10 -9
-3 -9 2

Then using the matrix methods I get.

I(-20 - 81) - J(4 - 27) + K(-18 - 30)

I(-101) - J(-23) + K(48)

I take the square root of the squares and get.

Answer = 57.0832725061

What's the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
%was too lazy to do computations, so here's the MATLAB code (might help you)
u =

-3 -9 2

>> v

v =

2 -10 -9

>> cross(v,u)

ans =

-101 23 -48

ans =

>> ans/2

ans =

why divided by 2?
because axb = |a|.|b|.sin theta
and area is 1/2 of that

The area of a parallelogram formed by two vectors, [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], is [itex]|\vec{u}\times\vec{v}|[/itex]. Since a triangle is half a parallelogram, the the area of a triangle having sides [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is half that.

RootX, the square root of what you have square doesn't match up with the answer you have.

-101 23 -48

ans =

>> ans/2

ans =

why divided by 2?
because axb = |a|.|b|.sin theta
and area is 1/2 of that

If you take the magnitude the negative numbers will become positive

[tex]
\sqrt{(-101)^2 + (23)^2 + (-48)^2}= 114.167 ~ /2 = 57.0833

[/tex]

1. How is the cross product used to find the area of a triangle?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that can be used to find the area of a triangle by taking the magnitude of the cross product of two of its sides and dividing by two. This is because the magnitude of the cross product is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

2. Why is the cross product method used to find the area of a triangle?

The cross product method is used because it is a simple and efficient way to find the area of a triangle. It also requires only basic knowledge of vector operations, making it accessible to a wide range of individuals.

3. What are the advantages of using the cross product method to find the area of a triangle?

One advantage is that it can be used for any type of triangle, including right triangles, acute triangles, and obtuse triangles. Additionally, it does not require knowledge of trigonometric functions, making it a simpler and more straightforward method compared to other formulas.

4. Are there any limitations to using the cross product method to find the area of a triangle?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It can only be used for 3-dimensional triangles and cannot be applied to triangles on a 2-dimensional plane. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for finding the area of a triangle in certain situations.

5. How does the cross product method relate to real-world applications?

The cross product method has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It can be used to calculate the torque on an object, determine the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire, and find the normal force on a moving object. It is also commonly used in computer graphics and 3D modeling.