Finding uncertainties in parts A and B of lab analysis

  • Thread starter Thread starter MoonsideMaster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lab
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
MoonsideMaster
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
HELP! Lab problem!

Hi people! Allow me to introduce myself. I'm MoonsideMaster, and I'm majoring in Mathematics. I hope that, when I get to know you people better, I will be able to contribute in some way. But as for now, I am having a very hard time solving a problem in my physics lab manual. The manual can be seen at the following site: https://doppler.poly.edu/Manuals/PH2004/PH2004Experiment1.htm My problem is on both part A and B of the Analysis section, and they're both #4. I just can't seem to find a way to figure out what the uncertainties are because I really don't know what to do there. I've attached my work in a ZIP file, so if you want, please refer to my work to see what I've already solved and what I want to find. Thanks a lot.
 
Attachments
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the lab problem. The fact that you have included your work in the ZIP file makes it easier for us to help you. First, let's take a look at Part A. The uncertainty you are looking for is the standard deviation of the mean. To calculate this, you need to subtract the mean from each data point and square the results, sum them up, and divide by the number of data points minus one. You then take the square root of this result to get the standard deviation of the mean. For Part B, the uncertainty you are looking for is the standard error of the mean. This is calculated by taking the standard deviation of the mean, dividing it by the square root of the number of data points, and multiplying by the inverse of the normal distribution probability. This should give you an estimate of the standard error of the mean. I hope this helps! Good luck with your lab problem.
 


Hi MoonsideMaster,

I understand that you are having trouble solving a problem in your physics lab manual. As a mathematics major, I'm sure you have a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking, so I'm confident that you can figure this out with a little help.

Firstly, don't be afraid to ask for help! It's great that you're reaching out for assistance. Have you tried talking to your classmates or professor for clarification on the problem? Sometimes discussing the problem with others can help you see it from a different perspective and find a solution.

Secondly, when it comes to uncertainties, it's important to understand the concept and how to calculate them. I suggest reviewing your notes or textbook on uncertainties and their calculations. Also, make sure you have a clear understanding of the problem and what is being asked of you. Sometimes, uncertainties can be calculated using experimental data or by using the equations and measurements given in the problem.

Lastly, I took a look at your work in the ZIP file, and it seems like you have a good start on the problem. Keep in mind that solving problems in physics often involves multiple steps and calculations, so don't get discouraged if it takes you some time to figure it out.

I hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Good luck with your lab problem!