Finding various currents around the circuit

In summary, the circuit diagram provided has a 12V source and four resistors (R1=2kΩ, R2=2.7kΩ, R3=1kΩ, R4=5.1kΩ). The task is to find the currents (I1, I2, I3, I4, I5, I6) and voltages (VA, VB, VC, VD) in the circuit. The attempt at a solution involved using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's Law to calculate I1, I2, and I6, and VA. A suggestion was made to simplify the circuit by replacing two parallel resistors with a single resistor.
captjackAV

Homework Statement

I have attached the circuit diagram to this thread.
V=12V, R1=2kΩ, R2=2.7kΩ, R3=1kΩ, R4=5.1kΩ.

Find I1, I2, I3, I4, I5, I6. Find VA, VB, VC, VD.
I just don't know how to apply kirchhoffs law to find the current and the voltage. I don't expect to have all answered. If someone can explain how to find at least 1 current and 1 voltage across a resistor, i can try to find the rest. Thank you in advance.

Homework Equations

I6=I1+I2
I1=I5+I3
I4=I2+I5
V=I/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I1= v/R1=12/2Ω=0.006A
I2= v/R2=12/2.7Ω=0.0044A
I6=I1+I2 = 0.0104A
VA=12V

Attachments

• CIRCUIT.png
    CIRCUIT.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
captjackAV said:
I just don't know how to apply kirchhoffs law to find the current and the voltage. I don't expect to have all answered. If someone can explain how to find at least 1 current and 1 voltage across a resistor, i can try to find the rest. Thank you in advance.
Hi captjackAV. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Can you replace 2 of the parallel resistors with a single resistor? Simplify the circuit this way so you end up with something to which you can readily apply Ohm's Law.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows electricity to flow through it, powering various electronic components.

2. How do you find various currents around a circuit?

To find the various currents around a circuit, you must first understand the concept of Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance. You can then use Kirchhoff's circuit laws, specifically Kirchhoff's current law, to determine the currents at different points in the circuit.

3. What tools are needed to measure currents in a circuit?

The most common tool used to measure current in a circuit is an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electrical current. A multimeter is another useful tool that can measure both current and other electrical properties such as voltage and resistance.

4. How do you calculate total current in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total current is equal to the sum of the currents in each branch of the circuit. This can be calculated using the formula ITOTAL = I1 + I2 + ... + IN, where I1, I2, etc. are the individual currents in each branch.

5. What factors affect the flow of current in a circuit?

The flow of current in a circuit can be affected by several factors, including the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the components in the circuit, and the type of circuit (series or parallel). Temperature can also affect the flow of current in certain materials and components.