Finding Velocity and angle for magnetic field

In summary, a proton moves in a horizontal plane with a velocity v. When a magnetic field of 10(power - 2)T pointing from west to east, the magnetic force on the proton has a magnitude of 3.2 x 10(power of -16)N and points downwards. When a magnetic field of 10(power - 2)T pointing from south to north, the magnetic force on proton has a magnitude of 3.2 x 10(power - 16)N and points downward direction. To find the magnitude and direction of the velocity, the equation F = qvB sin (theta) was used, but the solution is still undetermined. Further assistance is needed to solve the problem.
kaikaii

Homework Statement

A proton moves in a horizontal plane with a velocity v. It is found that when there is a magnetic field of 10(power - 2)T (magnitude) pointing from west to east, the magnetic force on the proton has a magnitude of 3.2 x 10(power of -16)N and points downwards. It is also found of that when a magnetic field of 10(power - 2)T pointing from south to north, the magnetic force on proton has a magnitude of 3.2 x 10(power - 16)N and points downward direction. Determine the magnitude and direction of the velocity.

I guess I'm required to find velocity and also the angle. Any ideas?

Homework Equations

F = qvB sin (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

3.2 x 10(power - 16) = 1.6 x 10 (power - 19) * v * 10(power - 2) sin (theta)

I'm stuck here. i don't know how to continue on to find the velocity and also the theta.

Is there any other ways to find it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kaikaii! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi! I have editted the attempt part. Do help solve the problem. Been pondering over it for sometime.

hi kaikaii! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
kaikaii said:
3.2 x 10(power - 16) = 1.6 x 10 (power - 19) * v * 10(power - 2) sin (theta)

i really don't understand what you're doing :confused:

(and why aren't there two equations for the two different fields?)

please write it out properly​

tiny-tim said:
hi kaikaii! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

i really don't understand what you're doing :confused:

(and why aren't there two equations for the two different fields?)

please write it out properly​

I subsitute the values into F = qvB sin (theta)...

I didnt sub two since those values are the same isn't it?

1. What is "velocity" and "angle" in the context of magnetic fields?

Velocity refers to the speed and direction at which a charged particle moves in relation to a magnetic field. Angle refers to the direction and orientation of the magnetic field lines in relation to the direction of the charged particle's motion.

2. How do you calculate velocity and angle for a magnetic field?

Velocity and angle can be calculated using the Lorentz force equation, which takes into account the charge of the particle, its velocity, and the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The angle can also be determined using trigonometric functions.

3. What units are used to measure velocity and angle for magnetic fields?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and angle is measured in degrees or radians.

4. How does changing the strength of a magnetic field affect the velocity and angle of a charged particle?

The velocity of a charged particle will increase as the strength of the magnetic field increases, as long as the direction of the field remains the same. The angle of the particle's motion may also change, depending on the orientation of the magnetic field lines.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding velocity and angle for magnetic fields?

Understanding the velocity and angle of charged particles in magnetic fields is crucial in fields such as particle physics, electromagnetism, and astrophysics. It is also used in practical applications such as MRI machines, particle accelerators, and electric motors.