Finding Vf when you dont have distance and only height without numerical value

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution I tried to use the equation D= (Vi+Vf)*t/2 but I am missing the distance.The Attempt at a Solution I tried using the equation D=(Vi+Vf)T/2 but i don't have the dictance.They expect you to know it without their mentioning it!man, i don't see where this **** is going, I don't understand how KE will help me find Vf if there arent values for the variables.
joseernesto

Homework Statement

13. A box of mass m is released from rest at point A, the top of a long, frictionless slide. Point A is at height H above the level of points B and C. Although the slide is frictionless, the horizontal surface from point B to point C is not. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and this surface is µk, and the horizontal distance between points B and C is x.
a. Find the speed of the box when its height above point B is ½H.
b. Find the speed of the box when it reaches point B.
c. Determine the value of µk so that the box comes to rest at point C.
d. Now assume that points B and C were not on the same horizontal level. In particular, assume that the surface from B to C had a uniform and upward slope so that point C were still at a horizontal distance of x from B but now at a vertical height y above B. Answer the question posed in part (c).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the equation D= (Vi+Vf)*t/2 but I am missing the distance

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

D=(Vi+Vf)T/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation D=(Vi+Vf)T/2 but i don't have the dictance(D)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use energy conservation. Express your answer in terms of the given quantities, like H.

i don't see how that is going to give me the answer for Vf

Write expressions for the total mechanical energy at the initial and final points. Compare.

can you give the answer i really need this I am desperate!

I understand that E=1/2 mv^2 +mgh, but i don't see how that gives you the velocity at half of the high when they don't mention mechanical energy

joseernesto said:
I understand that E=1/2 mv^2 +mgh,
That's all you need.

What's the initial KE? The initial PE?

The final KE? The final PE?

Set up an equation and solve for the final KE and then the final velocity.

but i don't see how that gives you the velocity at half of the high when they don't mention mechanical energy
They expect you to know it without their mentioning it!

man, i don't see where this **** is going, I don't understand how KE will help me find Vf if there arent values for the variables

joseernesto said:
I don't understand how KE will help me find Vf if there arent values for the variables
You are not going to get a numerical answer; your answer will be in terms of H. You'll solve for the answer by setting up an equation and doing a bit of algebra.

Stop avoiding the problem and TRY IT! :smile: Answer my questions.

bad bro... jaja ill give it a shot and ill probably ask for more help later...ajaja

hey i couldn't figure out the problem can u please help me a little bit more, this is the only question that i have left and i want to finish

Answer the questions I asked in post #7. Step by step.

1. How can I find Vf without knowing the distance and only having the height?

To find Vf without knowing the distance and only having the height, you will need to use the formula Vf = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height. This formula assumes that the initial velocity (Vi) is 0.

2. Can I still find Vf if I don't have a numerical value for the height?

No, in order to use the formula Vf = √(2gh), you will need to have a numerical value for the height. If you only have a qualitative value (e.g. "taller" or "shorter"), you will not be able to find Vf accurately.

3. What if I have an initial velocity (Vi) instead of a height?

If you have an initial velocity instead of a height, you can use the formula Vf = Vi + gt, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and t is the time. This formula assumes that the height is 0.

4. Is there a way to estimate Vf without knowing the exact values?

Yes, you can estimate Vf by using the formula Vf = √(2gh), but instead of using the exact value for g (9.8 m/s^2), you can use a rounded value, such as 10 m/s^2. This will give you an approximate value for Vf.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding Vf without knowing the distance?

Finding Vf without knowing the distance can be useful in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the final velocity of a projectile launched from a height, determining the speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of a hill, or estimating the speed of a free-falling object. This calculation can also be used in physics experiments and simulations.