Scale height ##z_0## of atmosphere's density profile

In summary, the pressure at a point Q due to an element of area A and thickness dz is given by
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
A clever student has found that the density profile of the earth atmosphere is ##\rho=\rho_0 \exp(-z/z_0)##, where ##z## is the height above sea level and ##\rho_0## is the density at sea level (##1.28\; \text{kg/m}^3##). If ##z_0## is the ##\text{scale height}## of the atmosphere, determine its value.
Relevant Equations
The pressure at a point in a fluid ##P = \frac{dF}{dA}## where ##dF## is the infinitesimal force exerted by the fluid on an element of area ##dA##, irrespective on how it is aligned.
I want to begin by writing the problem and drawing its sketch to make things clearer on what is being asked for.

Pressure.png
Given :
In the sketch shown to the right, the density profile of air with increasing ##z## is given by ##\rho=\rho_0 \exp(-z/z_0)##. Since we know the value of atmospheric pressure at sea level (say at a point P) ##\left( P_{\text{atm}} = 1.013\times 10^5\; \text{Pascal}\right)##, we can use it to find the value of ##\mathbf{z_0}##, the scale height of the atmosphere.

Note : For decreasing air density with height, ##z_0 > 0##.

Attempt : Let us imagine a capsule of air of cross section area ##A## and thickness ##dz## located at a height ##z## above the Earth surface. The infinitesimal pressure at Q due to this ##dP = \frac{dF}{A} = \frac{dw}{A}= \frac{g dm}{A} = \frac{g \rho(z) d\tau}{A} = \rho(z) g dz## (well known!).

Integrating, remembering that ##P(z=\infty) = 0## and ##P(z=0) = P_{\text{atm}}##, we have : $$\int_0^{P_{\text{atm}}} dP = g \rho_0 \int_{\infty}^0 e^{-z/z_0} dz \Rightarrow P_{\text{atm}} = -\rho_0 g z_0\;\; \cancelto{1}{\left[e^{-z/z_0}\right]_{\infty}^0}$$

This leads to $$z_0 = \frac{P_{\text{atm}}}{-\rho_0 g} = \frac{-1.013\times 10^5}{1.28 \times 9.8} = \boxed{-8.07 \times 10^3\; \text{m}}$$.

Answer : The answer from the book is the same, but positive (as it should be!) ##\boxed{z_0 = 8.1\times 10^3\; \text{m} }##.

Where am I mistaken?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
$$dP = \frac{dF}{A} = \frac{dw}{A}= \frac{g dm}{A} = \frac{g \rho(z) d\tau}{A} = \rho(z) g dz$$
(well known!).
I only know it well with a minus sign ...

brotherbobby said:
The infinitesimal pressure at Q
you mean the infinitesimal pressure difference ##P(z) - P(z+dz)## which is positive, but it is ##-dP##

BvU said:
I only know it well with a minus sign ...
Thank you. Yes, I remember that ##\frac{dP}{dz} = -\rho g## if ##z## is pointing up. Pressure in a fluid increases with depth, but decreases with height. I suppose I should have done the same as books do to derive the differential equation above : match forces above and below the elemental area.

Solved.

1. What is the definition of scale height ##z_0##?

The scale height ##z_0## is a measure of the vertical distance over which the density of a gas decreases by a factor of ##e## (approximately 2.718). It is used to describe the density profile of Earth's atmosphere and other planetary atmospheres.

2. How is the scale height ##z_0## calculated?

The scale height ##z_0## can be calculated using the formula ##z_0 = \frac{RT}{mg}##, where ##R## is the gas constant, ##T## is the temperature, ##m## is the average molecular mass of the gas, and ##g## is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the scale height ##z_0##?

The scale height ##z_0## is primarily affected by the temperature and molecular mass of the gas. Higher temperatures and lighter molecules result in a larger scale height, while lower temperatures and heavier molecules result in a smaller scale height. The strength of gravity also plays a role, as a stronger gravity will compress the atmosphere and result in a smaller scale height.

4. How does the scale height ##z_0## change with altitude?

The scale height ##z_0## decreases with increasing altitude. This is because as altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases, causing the density to decrease as well. As a result, the vertical distance over which the density decreases by a factor of ##e## also decreases.

5. Why is the scale height ##z_0## an important parameter in atmospheric science?

The scale height ##z_0## is an important parameter in atmospheric science because it helps us understand how the density of a gas changes with altitude. It is also used to calculate other important atmospheric properties, such as the atmospheric pressure, which is essential for predicting weather patterns and understanding atmospheric dynamics.