Finding voltage through values in an appendix

• Thread starter silenzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, when finding the Ered° values in the appendix for the cathode and anode in the reaction 3Ce4+(aq) + Bi(s) + H2O(l) → 3Ce3+(aq) + BiO+(aq) + 2H+(aq), it is important to note that the standard potentials given in the table are for the reduction half-reaction. Therefore, if the reaction is written in the reverse direction, the sign does not need to be flipped as the cell voltage is solely dependent on the difference between the two standard potentials.
silenzer

Homework Statement

Find the Ered° values in the appendix for the cathode and anode in the reaction

3Ce4+(aq) + Bi(s) + H2O(l) → 3Ce3+(aq) + BiO+(aq) + 2H+(aq)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

So in my appendix there is a value for the Ce4+/Ce3+ half-reaction, but only the reverse reaction for Bi(s) + H2O(l) → BiO+(aq) + 2H+(aq). What do you do then?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi silenzer. I'd guess that you simply take the negative of that voltage. But it's a long time since I did any chem. My recommended approach is to do a web search for a similar worked example to see whether that's the way. I'd be surprised if your textbook didn't have a worked example.

Of course, if you know the correct answer for your question, you can work it out and compare to see whether my guess is right.

While tables of standard potentials are often called "reduction potential tables", and reactions are written as reduction, it is just a matter of convention (makes it easier to find what you are looking for). Reaction goes both ways at a given potential. Or more precisely, when you mix all substances in their standard states (1 bar, 1M), and you put an inert electrode into the solution, you will read the standard potential as given. Whether the observed reaction will be reduction or oxidation will depend solely on the second half cell.

In other words - no need to flip the sign, cell voltage is just a matter of distance between standard potentials, regardless of whether they are given as reduction or oxidation.

1. How do I find the voltage through a specific resistor using values in an appendix?

The voltage through a specific resistor can be found by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). To find the current, you can use the formula I = V/R. Once you have the current value, you can use the values in the appendix to find the voltage using the formula V = IR.

2. What is an appendix in relation to finding voltage through values?

An appendix is a section in a document or book that contains additional information, such as tables, charts, or formulas, that are referenced in the main text. In the case of finding voltage through values, an appendix may contain a table of resistor values and corresponding voltage values for different currents.

3. Why is finding voltage through values in an appendix important in scientific research?

Finding voltage through values in an appendix is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to quickly and accurately determine the voltage across a specific resistor without having to manually calculate it each time. This can save time and reduce the chances of human error.

4. Can I use the values in an appendix to find voltage for any type of circuit?

Yes, the values in an appendix can be used to find voltage for any type of circuit as long as the circuit follows Ohm's Law, which is true for most electrical circuits. However, it is important to make sure that the values in the appendix are applicable to the specific circuit you are working with.

5. Are there any limitations to using values in an appendix to find voltage?

One limitation to using values in an appendix to find voltage is that the values may not be accurate for every circuit. For example, if the circuit is highly complex or contains non-linear elements, the values in the appendix may not be applicable. In these cases, it may be necessary to manually calculate the voltage using more advanced techniques.