Finding water and glycol percentages from mixture density and temperature

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2slowtogofast
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Density Mixture
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
2slowtogofast
Messages
134
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


I know the density of a mixture of water and glycol. I will call that dmix. I need to find the percentage of water and the percentage of glycol in the mixture. The only other thing I know is the temp.


Homework Equations



d=m/v



The Attempt at a Solution



What am unsure of is the following true

Let x = %glycol
Let 1-x = %water

dmix = (x)dglycol + (1-x)dwater
 
Physics news on Phys.org
2slowtogofast said:

Homework Statement


I know the density of a mixture of water and glycol. I will call that dmix. I need to find the percentage of water and the percentage of glycol in the mixture. The only other thing I know is the temp.


Homework Equations



d=m/v



The Attempt at a Solution



What am unsure of is the following true

Let x = %glycol
Let 1-x = %water

dmix = (x)dglycol + (1-x)dwater

Yes, it's true. Since you have the temperature of the mixture, you can look up the densities of each component at the appropriate temperature. Then proceed.
 
It is NOT true. Volumes are not additive.

For some substances - ethylene glycol included - it works quite good, but it doesn't in general. SO each time you should check if the density vs composition curve is linear - or not.
 
Ok I though it might not be true. So is there another way this calc can be done with the given info?
 
Density table is the only sure way to go. That's how my works. Unfortunately, density table for ethylene glycol that is built into the program is limited to 60% w/w. It can be easily extended if you can find a better density table.