Finding water vapor content from pressure change at constant temperature

  • Thread starter Thread starter apchemstudent
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Gas law Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
apchemstudent
Messages
220
Reaction score
0
I don't seem to be able to get close to any of the choices given.

Here's my work: 288 K = T
P = 101.23 kPa

2% volume = water vapor

Well the next day the pressure changes to 100.47 kPa at the same temperature. The volume changes by 101.23/100.47 = 1.008...

I'm stuck here... Can some one help? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • Gas Law question.jpg
    Gas Law question.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
apchemstudent said:
...

Well the next day the pressure changes to 100.47 kPa at the same temperature. The volume changes by 101.23/100.47 = 1.008...

...


pressure and volume are not directly proportional... perhaps this helps?
 
by avogadro's law the volume percent is equivalent to the mole percentage. In addition the mole percentage is equal to the pressure percentage (by dalton's law of partial pressures). Keep this in mind for the rest of this post.

I got one percent.
[tex][100.47-(101.23-.02(101.23))]/100.47[/tex]

I'm still not quite sure why they gave the molecular weight of gases in the problem, PV=nRT does not depend on mass composition. It's a colligative property

Once you find the final answer, please be considerate enough to tell the rest of us.