1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding what fraction of molecules have speeds over a certain value

1. May 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sample of oxygen gas with molar mass 32 g/mol contains 5.0 moles and is at a temperature of 500 K. How many moles of the gas have speeds between 375 m/s and 380 m/s?

2. Relevant equations
    Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution:
    f(v) = 4[itex]\pi[/itex][[itex]\frac{M}{2pi RT}[/itex]]^(3/2) * v^2 * e^[(-Mv^2)/(2RT)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that this function gives the probablility of having the molecules at some speed v, but I'm not sure how to translate this over a range or how to calculate the number of moles over this range.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know how to use the M-B distribution to find out how many molecules have a speed greater than 380 m/s?

Do you know how to use the M-B distribution to find out how many molecules have a speed greater than 375 m/s?

4. May 14, 2013 #3
    I figured it out, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted