Finding wind speed in the direction of a 100-meter dash

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter braindead101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Vector Velocity Wind
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
braindead101
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
A 100-meter dash is run on a track in the direction of [tex]\vec{v} = 2\vec{e_{1}}+6\vec{e_{2}}[/tex]. The wind velocity [tex]\vec{w}[/tex] is 5[tex]\vec{e}_{1}+\vec{e_{2}}[/tex] km/h. The rules say that a legal wind speed measured in the direction of the dash must not exceed 5 km/h. Will the race results be disqualified due to an illegal wind?

I am unsure how to start this problem, any help would be great. I think that I must find the speed of the wind in that direction first, so finding that vector and then finding the magnitude of that vector. But I don't know how to find that vector.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the wind speed is 5 km/h in any given direction, then it has to be less in a particular direction. So it cannot exceed 5 km/h in the track's direction.