Sprinter Speed at Finish Line in 100 Meter Dash

• Thread starter TonkaQD4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meter
In summary, a sprinter can accelerate with constant acceleration for 4.0s before reaching top speed and can run the 100-meter dash in 10s. By using the Uniformed Accelerated Motion formula, the sprinter's speed at the finish line can be calculated to be 12.5m/s. This is determined by using the distance formula, where the velocity is 4a and the time is 6, and multiplying them to get the distance of 100-x. The final calculation results in a velocity of 12.5m/s.
TonkaQD4
A sprinter can accelerate with constant acceleration for 4.0s before reaching top speed. He can run the 100-meter dash in 10s. What is his speed as he crosses the finish line?

I need help with this problem.

I know that for the last 6 seconds because he has reached top speed that he has constant velocity. During the first 4 seconds I must use a Uniformed Accelerated Motion formula, and I think I need to actually combine 2 of them together; however, I get an unrealistic answer, like 15m/s, which I know is incorrect.

Please help me find the sprinter's speed as he crosses the finish line?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us how you got 15m/s. (Which is not crazy, by the way. Since 100m is convered in 10s, the average speed is 10m/s. The speed at the end must be greater than this, since it starts off at zero.)

Actually I change my answer... 12.5m/s

But I am still a little skeptical about one step, I actually used another person's related forum to solve some of it and at the part I get stuck I used his/her but I am not quite sure if it is right.

First
x= xi + vi(delta t) + .5 a(delta t^2) UAM FORMULA
x= 0+0+.5a(4^2)
x= 8a

Then
Vf= Vi + a(delta t)
Vf= 0 + a(4s)

Therefore 4a= (100-x)6

And

4a= (100-x)6
4a= (100-8a)6 <--this is where I used another source and get confused on the next step
32a = 100 ? is this correct??
a= 3.125

Now Final V

Vf= 4s times 3.125m/s

Vf = 12.5m/s

The sprinters speed as he crosses the finish line is 12.5m/s.

Please Help! Is this the correct answer or approach to this problem.

Almost. You've got the 6 on the wrong side in 4a=(100-x)6; it should be (4a)6=100-x, because the velocity is 4a, the time is 6, and you multiply these to get the distance, which is 100-x. With this correct form, you then have 24a=100-x=100-8a, or 32a=100.
And 12.5m/s is the correct final answer.

Related to Sprinter Speed at Finish Line in 100 Meter Dash

What is a 100 meter dash?

A 100 meter dash is a track and field event in which runners race 100 meters (109.361 yards). It is a highly popular and prestigious event in both the Olympic Games and other international competitions.

What is the average time for a 100 meter dash?

The average time for a 100 meter dash varies depending on the level of competition and the gender of the runner. On average, male athletes can run the race in 10-11 seconds, while female athletes can run it in 11-12 seconds.

What is the world record for the 100 meter dash?

The current world record for the 100 meter dash is held by Usain Bolt of Jamaica, with a time of 9.58 seconds. This record was set in 2009 at the World Athletics Championships in Berlin, Germany.

What is the difference between a 100 meter dash and a 100 meter sprint?

The terms "100 meter dash" and "100 meter sprint" are often used interchangeably, but technically, the 100 meter dash is a specific event in track and field, while the 100 meter sprint can refer to any race or competition that involves running 100 meters.

What are some tips for improving my performance in the 100 meter dash?

Some tips for improving your performance in the 100 meter dash include practicing proper running form, building strength and speed through regular training, and maintaining a healthy and balanced diet. It is also important to work on your mental strength and focus during the race.