1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FindingTension, Dissimilar Angles.

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    I'd just like to say that even lurking this forum is a great help to users. (:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    I'm assuming, since this is all I've had to work with for weeks, trig. relationships such as: SIN, COS, TAN and their inverses.

3. The attempt at a solution

[​IMG]

Now, the obvious problem with what I've done, I think, is that I've treated it as if the angles were the same, correct? I think so. The thing is, I'm not sure how to do it any other way.

I'm also unsure as to how to handle finding Cord C's tension the correct way. Wouldn't it simply be the given weight, since it is a vertical line?

Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Cord C is correct. 200N. You can get this by taking the freebody diagram of the suspended mass. There are only two forces. The tension in the cord, and the weight.

Always decide what you're taking the freebody diagram of first... this is the most important step.

You need to get T1 and T2. What can you take the freebody diagram of? Draw a circle around the body you're taking the freebody diagram of...

4. Sep 19, 2007 #3
    The body I am taking the free body diagram of? Isn't that my first picture?

5. Sep 19, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

No. In your picture... draw a circle around what exactly you wish to examine... For example I could draw a circle around the suspended mass. So my freebody is whatever is inside the circle... what are the external forces acting on whatever is inside the circle? There's the tension in cord C, and the weight of the mass...

So immediately I get: Tc - mg = 0, and I can solve for Tc

Now to get the other 2 tensions, I need a different freebody... I draw a circle around the mass and the entire cord C... ie the two other cords intersect my circle... What are the external forces acting on whatever is inside the circle? I can do F=ma in the x and y directions, and then solve for the tensions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?