Projectile motion with unknown angle and Vo

In summary: Uploaded with ImageShack.usIn summary, the footballer kicks the ball and it arrives at point C, above the goal at 4 meters height. Va - angle and magnitude of the ball during the kick can be calculated using the following equation.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/6055/footballer01.jpg

A footballer kicks a ball and therefor the ball arrives at point C, above the goal at 4 meters height

Presuming that point C is at max height of the path and distance AB is 20 meters, calculate the speed of the ball (Va - angle and magnitude) during the kick. Presume that the ball is a material point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting stuck. I'm not sure whether it's my issue with solving trigonometric equations, or have I not applied the correct method? This is the first time I find a projectile motion problem to be so tough!

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/962/footballer02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're mixing up your symbols.

In equation #2 you're using v0, while this should be vy.
That should make it (quite a bit) easier. ;)

EDIT: Btw, where did you get equation #4 from?

You're mixing up your symbols.

In equation #2 you're using v0, while this should be vy.
That should make it (quite a bit) easier. ;)

Hmm. I'll try it now then.
Geez...what a tough problem!

EDIT: Btw, where did you get equation #4 from?

This?

http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/3820/thisr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Our lecturer gave it to us. He seemed to be holding it as a really special great formula!

The movement of the ball can be split in two indipendent components: one vertical and one horizontal.
Then you can mix them up in the end.

In addition you may know that almost every law is reversible in time: that means you can imagine someone throwing a ball at the top of the 4 meters pole and the ball has to reach the player.

In addition you may know that almost every law is reversible in time: that means you can imagine someone throwing a ball at the top of the 4 meters pole and the ball has to reach the player.

I don't appear to have a need for time. Adding time into the equations seem like extra work!

From what you're saying though, it appears that I'm making my life harder using the trajectory formula. Can I simply use the formulas of

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/8066/3components.jpg

Wait, ignore that last equation. It should be V2=Vx2+Vy2

Femme_physics said:
This?

Our lecturer gave it to us. He seemed to be holding it as a really special great formula!

Ah, I see.
I think it should be:

[tex]g \cdot h = \frac {v_0^2 \cdot \sin^2 \alpha} 2[/tex]

That should give you the answer as well.

Just to keep tab, I got 3 unknowns (angle, vox and voy) and I can use 5 equations to try and solve it?

*also, I'm surprised he confused the formula! Or maybe I mis-copied it? Hmm...

Femme_physics said:
I don't appear to have a need for time. Adding time into the equations seem like extra work!

From what you're saying though, it appears that I'm making my life harder using the trajectory formula. Can I simply use the formulas of

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/8066/3components.jpg

Wait, ignore that last equation. It should be V2=Vx2+Vy2

Ok, and how much time take for an object to fall from an height H under the acceleration of gravity g ?

I just realized I accidentally added "time" into the equation

Femme_physics said:
Just to keep tab, I got 3 unknowns (angle, vox and voy) and I can use 5 equations to try and solve it?

Hmm, those other formulas are not quite right either.

It should be:

[tex]v_x=v_0 \cos \alpha[/tex]
[tex]v_y=v_0 \sin \alpha - g \cdot t[/tex]or

[tex]v_{0x}=v_0 \cos \alpha[/tex]
[tex]v_{0y}=v_0 \sin \alpha[/tex]

Femme_physics said:

Actually you have a 4th unknown: v0.

And yes, you can try and solve it.

I can also suggest another approach.
Split the initial velocity in a horizontal and a vertical component, and set up the equations for the horizontal and vertical distance and speed.

Up to you though.

Before you were able to state that the ball takes 0.903 sec to reach the top.

At the top you also know the ball doesn't rise further, so Vy must be... ?
You know g, t, Vy when the ball is at the top, get a value for [tex]V_0 \ sin (\alpha)[/tex]
using your equations.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. What is the unknown angle in projectile motion?

The unknown angle in projectile motion is the angle at which the object is launched or thrown. It is the angle between the initial velocity and the horizontal direction.

3. What is the initial velocity (Vo) in projectile motion?

The initial velocity (Vo) in projectile motion is the velocity at which the object is launched or thrown. It is the speed and direction at which the object is moving when it leaves the ground.

4. How do you find the unknown angle in projectile motion?

To find the unknown angle in projectile motion, you can use the equations of motion and solve for the angle using trigonometric functions. Alternatively, you can use experimental data and graphing techniques to determine the angle.

5. How does changing the initial velocity affect projectile motion?

Changing the initial velocity (Vo) in projectile motion will affect the height, distance, and time of flight of the object. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer and higher trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter and lower trajectory.