Finish an Associates in Chemistry Degree?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's concern about their chances of getting into graduate programs due to their lower grades in their double major of physics and math. They express regret for not choosing a second major in chemistry or biology, which seems to be more applicable in job searches and impressing potential employers. The speaker is considering getting an associates degree in chemistry from their local community college to boost their resume and chances of getting a job as a lab technician. They also ask for opinions on whether this would be beneficial for graduate school applications, especially since they already have two BS degrees.
tmbrwlf730
Hi everyone. Just to let you know ahead of time this story might jump back and forth but I'll try my best to keep my thoughts straight.

I'm about to graduate with BS degrees in physics and math. I applied to some graduate programs but I don't think I'll get into any because my grades were not very good. Also talking to some other double majors around the physics department I'm hearing their second majors are in chemistry or biology which after taking some labs and classes sounds like it would had been the better thing to have done because it seems like they can apply very easily, especially the chemistry majors. It seems like some professors and people I've spoken to at job fairs are impressed if you've taken anything past general chemistry 1 and 2.

I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth it to try and get an associates degree in chemistry at my local community college. I'm just two classes away from it, organic 1 and 2, and most of my lower division courses came from there so there's not an issue if something might not be counted. I would had liked to take those two classes at the university but my financial aid is depleted because I changed majors a few times. Also I could take both classes over the summer and be done with it by the first week of August. Does anyone think it could be something that could put some kind of weight behind my resume and applications to graduate schools? Does anyone think it would look bad for me to get an associates after I've completed two BS degrees?

Thank you everyone for your input and comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
Might be helpful for a lab technician position that is seeking a chemistry background. I don't think it would be helpful at all with respect to grad school.

What are the requirements to finish an Associates in Chemistry Degree?

The requirements to finish an Associates in Chemistry Degree may vary depending on the institution, but generally include completing a certain number of credit hours, specific chemistry courses, and general education courses. Some programs may also require completion of a research project or internship.

How long does it take to finish an Associates in Chemistry Degree?

The length of time it takes to finish an Associates in Chemistry Degree also varies by institution and individual circumstances. Typically, it takes about two years of full-time study to complete the required coursework.

What career opportunities are available with an Associates in Chemistry Degree?

An Associates in Chemistry Degree can prepare students for entry-level positions in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and research and development. Graduates may also choose to continue their education and pursue a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field.

Are there any specific technical skills required to finish an Associates in Chemistry Degree?

While each program may have its own specific technical skills requirements, common skills needed to finish an Associates in Chemistry Degree include laboratory techniques, data analysis, and familiarity with scientific equipment and software.

Can an Associates in Chemistry Degree be transferred to a four-year university?

Many community colleges and universities have transfer agreements in place that allow students to transfer their Associates in Chemistry Degree credits towards a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field. It is important to check with the specific institution for their transfer policies and requirements.