Finished my PhD, Next steps (Brazil edition)

• Physics
  • Thread starter diegzumillo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, a physicist with a similar degree in the US, who is unemployed, is exploring different opportunities in Brazil. However, the lack of demand for physicists in Brazil makes it difficult to find a position that would allow him to resume his research.
diegzumillo
Hey there

Finished my PhD and returned to my home country.

This topic might alienate most users of this forum because it's specialized for Brazil. From my experience (as a student) all I know a physicist with a path similar to mine does here is work in universities as a professor, teaching and researching. I would love that but these jobs are quite competitive and it might take a while or even never for me to get this kind of job. Who else is hiring a physicist? In the US I had colleagues that were hired by companies to do AI and other programming related jobs, data science research etc. I wonder if there are any similar opportunities here. I would, obviously, prefer a position that would allow me to resume my research professionally rather than on my spare time.

All I can think right now is to try a post doc position somewhere. That would at least insert me in a community and give me a better idea of what my options are.

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on your PhD! I know that’s a lot of persistence and work on your part to achieve it.

Back to your question:

You can always put out some business feelers and start your own company doing software, data science or physics consulting.

Is there a notion of post doc positions in Brazil to allow you to develop your skills further?

Likes member 587159
My apologies. More than a year later I found your reply completely by accident. I was expecting an email notification! Oh well. In any case, my condition has not changed, unfortunately. Still unemployed.

Starting my own company is possible, but very, very hard in Brazil. Now post doc is definitely a possibility and I am considering it.

Too bad about the pandemic though. That certainly limits my possibilities even more.

Another inconvenience is that the diploma needs to go through a revalidation process in my country, and that takes a full year. With the pandemic it takes a little longer still. I know for a fact, from an inside source, my diploma is sitting on someone's desk waiting for a last signature. It has been sitting there for a few months now. So my hands are tied for now, and when I do get the revalidated diploma I still need to find myself something to do during a terrible global economic recession.

Some time ago in the US, there was a supercollider project which got canceled. Many of the PhD folks went into finance and started the quant revolution.

Perhaps in this age of machine learning and AI, you could apply your knowledge of data analysis in a data science career or consulting company. I imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult for you to master since much of machine learning is really statistical learning.

Alternatively, you could apply the machine learning ideas to areas of physics and get some papers written on your research. These could help you land a university job or maybe even and industry job.

Exploring other fields also interests me. I got my feet wet on machine learning already. But I really don't know how to break into the industry itself. Every position requires things I don't have yet, like experience or specific diplomas.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I really appreciate it.

I find this thread equally puzzling and fascinating at the same time, because nowhere in the entire thread and all the posts was there ever any indication of (i) the OP's area of specialty and (ii) anyone asking him/her about his/her area of specialty and what skills he/she has upon graduation.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is one very crucial piece of information that can actually determine the "employability" of a graduate, even in Brazil?

<scratching head>

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I find this thread equally puzzling and fascinating at the same time, because nowhere in the entire thread and all the posts was there ever any indication of (i) the OP's area of specialty and (ii) anyone asking him/her about his/her area of specialty and what skills he/she has upon graduation.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is one very crucial piece of information that can actually determine the "employability" of a graduate, even in Brazil?

Well, either he knows a lot of programming and/or works in an area of applied physics with high demand in the industry or he doesn't. I don't think more details make much a difference for employability, though specializing in an area of theoretical physics that nobody cares about certainly make things harder.

andresB said:
Well, either he knows a lot of programming and/or works in an area of applied physics with high demand in the industry or he doesn't. I don't think more details make much a difference for employability, though specializing in an area of theoretical physics that nobody cares about certainly make things harder.

But isn't this exactly what I asked for and why knowing such a thing is a crucial piece of information? But so far in this thread, the patient came in and told the doctor that he/she doesn't feel well, and a diagnosis is being offered without anyone asking for the nature of the symptoms!

"Here, try this and see if it makes you feel better."

Zz.

To: OP. If you're flexible enough to consider a career outside of physics research, here's a possible career path. I was involved in a volunteer mentor program. Around 2005, I was matched with a student originally from Brazil who was finishing her PhD in physics at a US university. Her specialty was in atomic, molecular, and optical physics; but it didn't matter. She didn't want an academic program, and she wanted to return home.

Brazil has an important distinction. Most of Latin America is Spanish speaking, but Brazil is Portuguese speaking. It's relatively easy to find technical people who are fluent in English and Spanish, harder to find ones who are fluent in English and Portuguese. At that time, Brazil had one of the hottest economies in Latin America, and many large US corporations were actively recruiting people fluent in English and Portuguese; a native well versed in the culture was an extra plus. Among other options, I urged the student to apply to large consulting firms, such as McKinsey. They hired her, and relocated her back to Brazil.

I haven't followed economic trends in Latin America, but this is an option for you to pursue. Such firms often are interested in PhD physicists for overall general technical knowledge; conceptual thinking; problem-solving competencies; and analytical, mathematical, and modelling experience. But you need to be willing to pivot.

CrysPhys said:
Such firms often are interested in PhD physicists for overall general technical knowledge
Interesting. I keep hearing that physicists are hired regularly by all kinds of companies, but only hearing about it.

For what it's worth, I worked with models beyond standard model, running lattice simulations and studying effective models, that sort of thing.

1) What job opportunities are available for PhD graduates in Brazil?

There are several job opportunities available for PhD graduates in Brazil, including academic positions at universities and research institutes, as well as positions in industry and government agencies. Some popular fields for PhD graduates in Brazil include engineering, natural sciences, and humanities.

2) How can I apply for a post-doctoral position in Brazil?

To apply for a post-doctoral position in Brazil, you can search for open positions on job search websites such as Indeed or LinkedIn, or directly contact universities or research institutes that align with your research interests. You may need to submit your CV, research proposal, and letters of recommendation as part of the application process.

3) Are there any funding opportunities for PhD graduates in Brazil?

Yes, there are several funding opportunities available for PhD graduates in Brazil. Some options include scholarships from government agencies such as the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) and the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES), as well as grants from private organizations and foundations.

4) What is the average salary for a PhD graduate in Brazil?

The average salary for a PhD graduate in Brazil can vary depending on the field and job position. According to a survey by the Brazilian Association of Graduate Studies (ANPG), the average salary for a PhD graduate in 2018 was approximately R$8,000 per month (equivalent to around $1,500 USD).

5) Are there any additional steps I need to take after finishing my PhD in Brazil?

After finishing your PhD in Brazil, you may need to have your diploma validated by the Brazilian Ministry of Education (MEC) if you obtained your degree from a foreign institution. Additionally, if you are a foreigner, you may need to obtain a work visa or temporary residence permit to legally work in Brazil. It is also recommended to update your CV and start networking to increase your chances of finding job opportunities.