Finishing in 3 Years or Taking a Risk for a Third Major?

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bmore
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Major Years
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 1K views
bmore
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Because I had a lot of high school credits, I am able to to complete a physics/math dual major in 3 years time. I just got some extra funding from a few scholarships that I cannot apply for graduate school, but would allow me to stay here for an extra year. If I don't, I'm essentially wasting the money.

Could I feasibly finish a 3rd major while I'm here, maybe something with better job outlook (in case my physics career doesn't pan out)? What would be a good choice? Or should I just take some grad classes? I'd like to hear possible suggestions.

Thank You
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, you can either rush through three majors, or take your time through two. I'd recommend taking some grad classes, or maybe taking fewer credit hours and doing research.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Intraverno
bmore said:
Because I had a lot of high school credits, I am able to to complete a physics/math dual major in 3 years time. I just got some extra funding from a few scholarships that I cannot apply for graduate school, but would allow me to stay here for an extra year. If I don't, I'm essentially wasting the money.

Could I feasibly finish a 3rd major while I'm here, maybe something with better job outlook (in case my physics career doesn't pan out)? What would be a good choice? Or should I just take some grad classes? I'd like to hear possible suggestions.

Thank You
like tide detergent said above, I would recommend not doing three majors.
Why don't you take some electives you like, or do some research in topics. Take that extra time to get good at something, not learn the basics of another thing.

You want to learn something, not rush through and get a piece of paper
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dishsoap and Intraverno
bmore said:
Or should I just take some grad classes?
I suggest this option. Focus on doing well in physics/math first, then worry about whether you're going to continue your education after you've gotten a feel for what you want to specialize in.
 
I'm not really sure I got the point where "going straight for a PhD program" dropped out of the list of options. Not letting grant money going to waste seems like a rather weak argument, assuming PhD positions are paid in <wherever you would do this PhD>. A PhD is so much more fun than boring "do your homework, try to get good grades" undergrad time.
 
Timo said:
I'm not really sure I got the point where "going straight for a PhD program" dropped out of the list of options. Not letting grant money going to waste seems like a rather weak argument...

Right.

bmore said:
... If I don't, I'm essentially wasting the money...

How do you figure the money will be "wasted"? The scholarship will give it to another deserving student, right? That's a good thing, not a waste...

Just my 2¢
 
gmax137 said:
Right.
How do you figure the money will be "wasted"? The scholarship will give it to another deserving student, right? That's a good thing, not a waste...

Just my 2¢

I guess I'm looking at the situation in a rather selfish way.