Mech. Engr.: Returning to get your Masters/PhD after 3 years in industry?

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Elbobo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Industry Years
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Elbobo
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
I'm only an ME undergraduate right now, but I'm pursuing this path that may lock me in industry (CAD/CAM/machine design/etc.) for a minimum of 3 years after graduation. It's not quite the technical path that I wanted to go into, but the opportunity seems too great to pass up for now.

How feasible would it be to go back into graduate school to get a Masters and/or PhD after 3 years of being away from the more (for lack of a better phrase) math-intensive areas of Mechanical Engineering?

I don't want to end up doing machine modeling & design for the rest of my ME career; I'd rather do HVAC, robotics or materials research. But the fact that I'll be doing none of those things for 3 continuous years right after getting my Bachelor's worries me.

Any advice?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I earned my BS in Nuclear Engineering, worked for 4 years, then went back and earned a MS in mechanical engineering. It turned out to be a good combonition for me.

You can earn your masters in engineering online or night school and keep working if this is best for you.