Mech. Engr.: Returning to get your Masters/PhD after 3 years in industry?

In summary, the conversation is about an individual who is pursuing a path in industry for at least 3 years after completing their undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. They are concerned about the feasibility of going back to graduate school after being away from the more technical areas of mechanical engineering for 3 years. They express interest in pursuing a career in HVAC, robotics, or materials research, rather than machine modeling and design. The other individual in the conversation suggests earning a master's degree while still working.
Elbobo
I'm only an ME undergraduate right now, but I'm pursuing this path that may lock me in industry (CAD/CAM/machine design/etc.) for a minimum of 3 years after graduation. It's not quite the technical path that I wanted to go into, but the opportunity seems too great to pass up for now.

How feasible would it be to go back into graduate school to get a Masters and/or PhD after 3 years of being away from the more (for lack of a better phrase) math-intensive areas of Mechanical Engineering?

I don't want to end up doing machine modeling & design for the rest of my ME career; I'd rather do HVAC, robotics or materials research. But the fact that I'll be doing none of those things for 3 continuous years right after getting my Bachelor's worries me.

Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I earned my BS in Nuclear Engineering, worked for 4 years, then went back and earned a MS in mechanical engineering. It turned out to be a good combonition for me.

You can earn your masters in engineering online or night school and keep working if this is best for you.

1. What are the benefits of returning to get a Masters/PhD in Mechanical Engineering after working in industry for 3 years?

Returning to get a higher degree in Mechanical Engineering after gaining industry experience can offer a number of benefits. It can enhance your knowledge and skills in the field, making you more competitive in the job market and opening up opportunities for advancement. It can also increase your earning potential and allow you to specialize in a specific area of mechanical engineering.

2. Will I have to start my Masters/PhD program from the beginning if I return after 3 years in industry?

This will depend on the specific program and institution you are applying to. Some programs may allow you to transfer credits from your previous education and work experience, while others may require you to complete the full program. It is important to research and communicate with the program advisors to understand the requirements and determine the best path for your situation.

3. How will my industry experience be valued in my Masters/PhD program?

Your industry experience can be highly valuable in a Masters/PhD program in Mechanical Engineering. It can provide practical knowledge and real-world problem-solving skills that can enhance your academic learning. It can also make you a valuable asset to research projects and collaborations with industry partners.

4. Will I have to leave my job to pursue a Masters/PhD in Mechanical Engineering?

This will depend on your personal circumstances and the program you choose. Some programs may offer part-time or online options that can allow you to continue working while pursuing your degree. However, pursuing a Masters/PhD is a significant commitment and it is important to assess your workload and priorities to determine if you can balance both work and studies effectively.

5. How can I fund my Masters/PhD program after working in industry for 3 years?

There are various options for funding your Masters/PhD program, including scholarships, grants, and assistantships. Many institutions also offer tuition waivers or discounts for students who have previously worked in industry. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early on to increase your chances of receiving financial support for your studies.