1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Mech. Engr.: Returning to get your Masters/PhD after 3 years in industry?

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    I'm only an ME undergraduate right now, but I'm pursuing this path that may lock me in industry (CAD/CAM/machine design/etc.) for a minimum of 3 years after graduation. It's not quite the technical path that I wanted to go into, but the opportunity seems too great to pass up for now.

How feasible would it be to go back into graduate school to get a Masters and/or PhD after 3 years of being away from the more (for lack of a better phrase) math-intensive areas of Mechanical Engineering?

I don't want to end up doing machine modeling & design for the rest of my ME career; I'd rather do HVAC, robotics or materials research. But the fact that I'll be doing none of those things for 3 continuous years right after getting my Bachelor's worries me.

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2
    I earned my BS in Nuclear Engineering, worked for 4 years, then went back and earned a MS in mechanical engineering. It turned out to be a good combonition for me.

You can earn your masters in engineering online or night school and keep working if this is best for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook