Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Reflection Groups in Two Dimensions - R2

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    I am seeking to understand reflection groups and am reading Grove and Benson: Finite Reflection Groups

On page 6 (see attachment - pages 5 -6 Grove and Benson) we find the following statement:

"It is easy to verify (Exercise 2.1) that the vector [itex] x_1 = (cos \ \theta /2, sin \ \theta /2 ) [/itex] is an eigenvector having eigenvalue 1 for T, so that the line
    [itex] L = \{ \lambda x_1 : \lambda \in \mathbb{R} \} [/itex] is left pointwise fixed by T."

I am struggling to se why it follows that L above is left pointwise fixed by T (whatever that means exactly).

Can someone please help - I am hoping to be able to formally and explicitly justify the statement.

The preamble to the above statement is given in the attachment, including the definition of T

Notes (see attachment)

1. T belongs to the group of all orthogonal transformations, [itex] O ( \mathbb{R} ) [/itex].

2. Det T = -1

For other details see attachment

Peter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

"[itex]\,x_1[/itex] is an eigenvector of [itex]\,T[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\,1\,\,[/itex]" means [itex]\,Tx_1=x_1[/itex]

To leave a subspace L fixed pointwise means [itex]\,\,Tv=v\,,\,\,\forall v\in L[/itex]

Can you now apply the above to see the statement in that book is trivial?

DonAntonio

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the help - thinking that over

What is meant by (or what is the significance of) 'left' pointwise fixed

Peter

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4

In this case "left" is the past participle of "leave", and NOT the left of "side", as opposite to "right"...:P)

DonAntonio

6. Apr 22, 2012 #5
    Oh ... right ... completely misunderstood the text :-(

Thanks

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook