Firefox 1.5 Semi-Official Release

In summary: I haven't had any trouble installing them as root on my Linux system.I'm not sure why that is, but it is something to keep in mind.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
You can find the newest version of Firefox at mozilla mirrors:

http://www.mozilla.org/mirrors.html

It will be official announced by tonight (US Eastern Time)

Here is what you can find in this new release:

* Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.
* Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance.
* Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs.
* Improvements to popup blocking.
* Clear Private Data feature provides an easy way to quickly remove personal data through a menu item or keyboard shortcut.
* Answers.com is added to the search engine list.
* Improvements to product usability including descriptive error pages, redesigned options menu, RSS discovery, and "Safe Mode" experience.
* Better accessibility including support for DHTML accessibility and assistive technologies such as the Window-Eyes 5.5 beta screen reader for Microsoft Windows. Screen readers read aloud all available information in applications and documents or show the information on a Braille display, enabling blind and visually impaired users to use equivalent software functionality as their sighted peers.
* Report a broken Web site wizard to report Web sites that are not working in Firefox.
* Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater) including profile migration from Safari and Mac Internet Explorer.
* New support for Web Standards including SVG, CSS 2 and CSS 3, and JavaScript 1.6.
* Many security enhancements.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have extensions (the main ones) been updated for this?

I use adblock, mouse gestures, webdeveloper and DOM inspector and they all work.

Which mouse gestures? I am using all in one.

mattmns, the one I use is just called mouse gestures. Checkout the extensions page on mozilla's site to see if All-in-one has support for 1.5

Greg, this is 1.5 Final. Here is the official site/announcement:

http://www.mozilla.com/

Apparentely the mozilla foundation decided to move firefox and thunderbird over to the .com site to be more user friendly. If you go to www.mozilla.org they have a big link redirecting you to their new site.

Last edited:
I just downloaded it, we will find out in a second.edit... All of my extensions worked: All in One gestures too. Sweet!

Last edited:
Apparently the Mozilla foundation has secured an advertising spot on the tv show "Supernatural." Some actor(s) are supposed to be wearing firefox t-shirts on next weeks episode.

Newspaper and video ads are to follow.

I've been using the 1.5 beta and RC versions for a while now. I'm so happy 1.5 is finally here. I can't wait to test it out. Thanks for keeping us updated dduardo.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Is the version 1.5RC3?

It is the same as RC3 if I understand correctly, RC3 was adopted as the final release. Someone posted to slashdot that the MD5s and SHA1 hashes were the same for RC3 and the final release.

Why wasn't there an automatic update for this version, or is it like this for all "big" releases? I'm using 1.0.7, btw. Just came online and got to know about the release at Wikipeida (it made the headlines there!). :biggrin:

Off to download 1.5...

Last edited:
My main problem with firefox 1.5 is with the search engines, I'm not getting quite a few, such as wikipedia and odeo to work. I don't know if it has to do with the version.

exequor said:
My main problem with firefox 1.5 is with the search engines, I'm not getting quite a few, such as wikipedia and odeo to work. I don't know if it has to do with the version.

They may not have updated those. I don't know I'm just speculating. I know that on my Linux system, I can't install them as a regular user, I can only install them as root. I have no idea why, since users can install their own extensions just fine.

1. What is the difference between Firefox 1.5 Semi-Official Release and the previous version?

The main difference is that the Semi-Official Release includes a few bug fixes and minor updates, but it is not a full official release. It is more of a test release for users to try out before the official release.

2. Can I upgrade to Firefox 1.5 Semi-Official Release from my current version?

Yes, you can upgrade to the Semi-Official Release from any previous version of Firefox. However, keep in mind that this is not a stable release and there may be bugs or issues.

3. How do I download and install Firefox 1.5 Semi-Official Release?

You can download the Semi-Official Release from the Mozilla website and follow the installation instructions. It is recommended to backup your current Firefox settings before installing the new version.

4. Are there any known issues with Firefox 1.5 Semi-Official Release?

Yes, there may be some known issues or bugs with this release since it is not a fully official version. It is recommended to check the release notes before installing to see if any of the known issues may affect your usage.

5. Can I switch back to the previous version if I encounter problems with Firefox 1.5 Semi-Official Release?

Yes, you can always switch back to the previous version of Firefox by uninstalling the Semi-Official Release and reinstalling the previous version. However, it is recommended to report any issues to the Mozilla team so they can be addressed in future releases.