Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Firefox PF search plugin (what is it?)

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    Is there any way to get a description of what exactly this is for us non tech savvy types?

If you click on it it just starts downloading. What is its function?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's like a google search bar, but for PF. That is, it will sit in the top bar of firefox, and allows you to search PF by simply typing your search string into the box, rather than even going to pf.com

Yes, clicking on the button downloads a .zip file, which you can then unzip and install in the firefox directory.

4. May 19, 2008 #3
    When you type something into the bar, which will be on the top right hand corner. When you type something in, it will create a search with the words you have put in. Good time saver :smile:

5. May 19, 2008 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does the plugin allow boolean searches? Or is it just an interface to the PF search form? Is it subject to delays between successive queries [as the form was in the past]?

By the way, here is a bookmarklet (a bookmark with javascript code) which asks google to search PF by automatically appending "site:physicsforums.com" to any search query. It does not require that you have the Google Toolbar installed... It's just a bookmark with code in your browser.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1537951#post1537951

6. May 19, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's an interface to the PF search form.. but that allows boolean searches, doesn't it?

7. May 19, 2008 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe now it does... but it didn't seem to work [well] before.

From Greg's post in the thread I posted above,
    he said
    "Only staff, contributors, HWHs and SAs can use boolean searching. You could would then either use "Laplace Transform" or Laplace AND Transform."

Is it still restricted to those special users?

8. Sep 16, 2008 #7

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Could any of you please tell me where exactly is this plug-in? How do I get it? Any other relevant info I need to use it?

9. Sep 16, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can tell you its on the main page on the right hand side just underneath the box that has all the users online info.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?