First order perturbation question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first order correction to the allowed energies and the first three non-zero terms in the expansion of the correction to the ground state wavefunction for an infinite square well with a delta function bump in the center. The first order correction to the energy is found using the formula E_n^1 = \langle \psi_n^0 | H' | \psi_n^0 \rangle, while the first order correction to the wavefunction is found using the formula \psi_n^1 = \sum_{m \neq n} \frac{\langle \psi_m^0 | H' | \psi_n^0 \rangle}{(E_n^0 - E_m^0)}\psi_m^
Bobbo Snap

Homework Statement

Suppose we put a delta function bump in the center of the infinite square well:
[tex]
H' = \alpha \delta(x -a/2),
[/tex]
where [itex] \alpha [/itex] is constant.

a) Find the first order correction to the allowed energies.

b) Find the first three non-zero terms in the expansion of the correction to the ground state, [itex] \psi_1^1 [/itex].

Homework Equations

First order correction to the energy:
[tex] E_n^1 = \langle \psi_n^0 | H' | \psi_n^0 \rangle. [/tex]

First order correction to the wave function:
[tex]\psi_n^1 = \sum_{m \neq n} \frac{\langle \psi_m^0 | H' | \psi_n^0 \rangle}{(E_n^0 - E_m^0)}\psi_m^0. [/tex]

Wavefunction for the infinite square well:
[tex] \psi_n(x) = \sqrt{2/a} \sin{\frac{n \pi}{a}x} [/tex]

Energy for the infinite square well:
[tex] E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2ma^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got part a right. It worked out to [itex]\frac{2 \alpha}{a}[/itex] for odd n and 0 for even n.

Part b has me a little confused. In the equation for the first order correction to the wavefunction, what am I supposed to sum over? If it is m, then the first three terms are m=3, m=5, m=7 since m is not n and m must be odd. But then I have [itex] \langle \psi_3^0 |H'|\psi_1^0\rangle, \langle \psi_5^0 |H'| \psi_1^0 \rangle, \text{ and } \langle \psi_7^0 |H'| \psi_1^0 \rangle [/itex] in the numerators of the first three terms. But wouldn't orthogonality then make all of these terms zero so there would be no non-zero terms in the expansion? I'm not understanding how to evaluate this sum. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bobbo Snap said:
Part b has me a little confused. In the equation for the first order correction to the wavefunction, what am I supposed to sum over? If it is m, then the first three terms are m=3, m=5, m=7 since m is not n and m must be odd. But then I have [itex] \langle \psi_3^0 |H'|\psi_1^0\rangle, \langle \psi_5^0 |H'| \psi_1^0 \rangle, \text{ and } \langle \psi_7^0 |H'| \psi_1^0 \rangle [/itex] in the numerators of the first three terms. But wouldn't orthogonality then make all of these terms zero so there would be no non-zero terms in the expansion? I'm not understanding how to evaluate this sum. Any help would be appreciated.

What does [itex] \langle \psi_3^0 |H'|\psi_1^0\rangle[/itex] look like when written out as an integral?

[tex] \langle \psi_3^0|H'|\psi_1^0 \rangle = \frac{2 \alpha}{a}\int \sin{\frac{3 \pi x}{a}} \sin{\frac{\pi x}{a}} \delta(x - a/2) = \frac{2 \alpha}{a} \sin{\frac{3 \pi}{2}} \sin{\frac{\pi }{2}} = - \frac{2 \alpha}{a}[/tex]

I worked out something like this for all three terms (m=3, m=5, m=7). Is that the correct approach? I thought orthogonality might make this go to zero.

Looks right to me.

Your approach for part a is correct. For part b, the sum is over all possible values of m, not just odd ones. This is because the wavefunction for the infinite square well is not just restricted to odd values of n, it can also have even values. So the first three non-zero terms in the expansion of the correction to the ground state would be:

\psi_1^1 = \frac{\langle \psi_2^0 |H'| \psi_1^0 \rangle}{(E_1^0 - E_2^0)}\psi_2^0 + \frac{\langle \psi_3^0 |H'| \psi_1^0 \rangle}{(E_1^0 - E_3^0)}\psi_3^0 + \frac{\langle \psi_4^0 |H'| \psi_1^0 \rangle}{(E_1^0 - E_4^0)}\psi_4^0

Since m can be any value, including even ones, there will be non-zero terms in the expansion. The orthogonality condition you mentioned only applies when the values of n and m are different. In this case, n=1 and m=2,3,4, so the terms will not be zero.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. If you are still having trouble, I recommend seeking help from your instructor or a tutor.

1. What is first order perturbation theory?

First order perturbation theory is a method used in quantum mechanics to approximate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system with a small perturbation or disturbance. It involves treating the perturbation as a small correction to the unperturbed system, and using mathematical techniques to calculate the first-order change in energy levels and wavefunctions.

2. When is first order perturbation theory valid?

First order perturbation theory is valid when the perturbation is small compared to the energy levels of the unperturbed system. It is also valid when the perturbation does not significantly alter the shape of the wavefunction, and when the perturbation does not cause degeneracy between energy levels.

3. How is first order perturbation theory applied?

To apply first order perturbation theory, the unperturbed energy levels and wavefunctions of the system must first be known. Then, the perturbation is introduced and the first-order changes in energy levels and wavefunctions are calculated using mathematical formulas. These changes can then be added to the unperturbed values to obtain the first-order corrected energy levels and wavefunctions.

4. What are the limitations of first order perturbation theory?

First order perturbation theory has some limitations, such as being valid only for small perturbations and not accounting for higher order corrections. It also assumes that the perturbation is time-independent and that the perturbed and unperturbed systems have the same eigenstates. Additionally, it may not accurately describe systems with degeneracy or large energy differences between levels.

5. How is first order perturbation theory related to other perturbation methods?

First order perturbation theory is the simplest form of perturbation theory, and is often used as a starting point for more advanced perturbation methods. It can also be combined with other methods, such as time-dependent perturbation theory, to calculate higher order corrections and improve the accuracy of the results.