1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order perturbation question

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose we put a delta function bump in the center of the infinite square well:
    [tex]
    H' = \alpha \delta(x -a/2),
    [/tex]
    where [itex] \alpha [/itex] is constant.

a) Find the first order correction to the allowed energies.

b) Find the first three non-zero terms in the expansion of the correction to the ground state, [itex] \psi_1^1 [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

First order correction to the energy:
    [tex] E_n^1 = \langle \psi_n^0 | H' | \psi_n^0 \rangle. [/tex]

First order correction to the wave function:
    [tex]\psi_n^1 = \sum_{m \neq n} \frac{\langle \psi_m^0 | H' | \psi_n^0 \rangle}{(E_n^0 - E_m^0)}\psi_m^0. [/tex]

Wavefunction for the infinite square well:
    [tex] \psi_n(x) = \sqrt{2/a} \sin{\frac{n \pi}{a}x} [/tex]

Energy for the infinite square well:
    [tex] E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2ma^2} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I got part a right. It worked out to [itex]\frac{2 \alpha}{a}[/itex] for odd n and 0 for even n.

Part b has me a little confused. In the equation for the first order correction to the wavefunction, what am I supposed to sum over? If it is m, then the first three terms are m=3, m=5, m=7 since m is not n and m must be odd. But then I have [itex] \langle \psi_3^0 |H'|\psi_1^0\rangle, \langle \psi_5^0 |H'| \psi_1^0 \rangle, \text{ and } \langle \psi_7^0 |H'| \psi_1^0 \rangle [/itex] in the numerators of the first three terms. But wouldn't orthogonality then make all of these terms zero so there would be no non-zero terms in the expansion? I'm not understanding how to evaluate this sum. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does [itex] \langle \psi_3^0 |H'|\psi_1^0\rangle[/itex] look like when written out as an integral?

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3
    [tex] \langle \psi_3^0|H'|\psi_1^0 \rangle = \frac{2 \alpha}{a}\int \sin{\frac{3 \pi x}{a}} \sin{\frac{\pi x}{a}} \delta(x - a/2) = \frac{2 \alpha}{a} \sin{\frac{3 \pi}{2}} \sin{\frac{\pi }{2}} = - \frac{2 \alpha}{a}[/tex]

I worked out something like this for all three terms (m=3, m=5, m=7). Is that the correct approach? I thought orthogonality might make this go to zero.

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks right to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted