1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear perturbation to harmonic oscillator

1. Mar 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the first-order corrections to energy and the wavefunction, for a 1D harmonic oscillator which is linearly perturbed by ##H'=ax##.

2. Relevant equations
    First-order correction to the energy is given by, ##E^{(1)}=\langle n|H'|n\rangle##, while first-order correction to the wave-function is, $$|n^{(1)}\rangle=\Sigma_{m\neq n}\frac{\langle m|H'|n\rangle}{E_n-E_m}|m\rangle.$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    The energy correction is just ##0## by orthogonality arguments. For the corrections to the wavefunction, I have, $$|n^{(1)}\rangle=\frac{a\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}}{\hbar\omega}\Sigma_{m\neq n}\frac{\langle m|a+a^+|n\rangle}{n-m}|m\rangle.$$ The first term within the summation is only exists for ##m=n-1##, such that the term becomes, ##\sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle##. Similarly, the second term in the summation only exists for ##m=n+1##, such that the term becomes,##-\sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle##. Hence, the first order correction should be, $$\frac{a\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}}{\hbar\omega}(\sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle-\sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle).$$ I am not sure however, as I'm still getting my feet wet with perturbation theory and would like to know if I'm on the correct track.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks fine, except that the last expression is applicable only for ##n>0##. What about the one for ##n=0##?

4. Mar 5, 2017 #3
    For, ##n=0##, I'm thinking that the term involving the ##|n-1\rangle## would just go to ##0## by definition of the raising/lowering operators. Would that be correct?

5. Mar 5, 2017 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted