1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order perturbation theory, quantum physics

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    I have an infinite potential well with length L. The first task was to calculate the eigenvalues and -functions for the energy of a particle in the well. The requirements were
    [tex]\psi(0, L) = 0[/tex] and there is no time-dependence.

I've calculated:

[tex]\hat{H}\psi(x) = E\psi(x)[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{(\pi\hbar n)^{2}}{2 m L^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\psi(x) = sin(\frac{\pi\n x}{L})[/tex]

Now the question. We add a small potential "rectangle" V(x) at the center of the potential well. It has length a and height q, a << L. What are the new eigenvalues and -functions for the perturbed case? Im supposed to use first order perturbation theory.

I've done like this:

There's a formula saying:

[tex]E_{n_p} = \int \overline{\psi_{n}} H' \psi_{n} dV =[/tex]
    [tex]\int \overline{\psi_{n}} H' \psi_{n} x^{2} dx[/tex]

Which gives the new eigenvalues. I tried just using H' = V(x) = q at first. But the dimension of E didn't match. If you substitute V(x) (which is an energy) into the above equation you see that the dimension will be Energy*distance^4 after integration. So what to do with H' ?
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2
    So, two things:
    First make sure that your eigenfunctions are properly normalized, e.g. in one dimension:
    [tex]\int \overline{\psi_n}\psi_n\,dx = 1[/tex].
    Also, what does this equation imply about the units of [tex]\psi[/tex]? (hint: the dx infinitessimal has units of length)

Second, what is the volume element dV? If we are in one dimension then dV = dx. If we are in cartesian coordinates in 3 dimensions then dV = dxdydz and if we are in spherical coordinates then [tex]dV = r^2drd\theta d\phi[/tex] which appears to be the volume element you are using without the angular terms.

Hope this helps
  4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    Thanks! It helped. Normalizing psi and replacing x^2 dx with just dx did the trick :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?