First Post Preview in ForumDisplay

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, there is a new feature that allows users to preview the first post of a thread without refreshing their web browsers. This feature can be accessed by clicking on the [+] boxes next to the thread title in forum view. It has replaced the option for thread emotes when starting a new thread. This feature is especially useful for Firefox users who may have truncated tooltips. It has received positive feedback from users and there is a request to add it to the Nexus skin as well, but this is not possible as the Nexus skin is no longer supported. However, this feature is available on the Prime skin and has been well-received by users. There is also a question about the lack of a "contact us" option on the Prime skin
There is a cool little feature that let's you preview the first post of a thread without refreshing your web browers. There is now a row of [+] boxes to the left of thread title in forum view. Click one and you'll see the first post shown. Click again and it disappears.

I did this at the expense of thread emotes, you'll also find the thread emotes aren't an option under the message box anymore when starting a new thread. Not maybe ppl used the feature anyway, shouldn't be a big loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is especially useful for Firefox users for whom the tooltip is truncated. Of course, it may not be as fast as a tooltip, but it's certainly better in other ways.

Sick! I love it.

It's great!

Cool feature! Is it possible to add it to the Nexus skin as well?

mattmns said:
Cool feature! Is it possible to add it to the Nexus skin as well?

No sorry, I haven't support nexus for over a year :)

Nice! I just tried it on this thread. Pretty cool!

Greg Bernhardt said:
No sorry, I haven't support nexus for over a year :)

I was wondering why the prime doesn't have a 'contact us' at the bottom? and if it was working on the nexus view??

What is "First Post Preview" in ForumDisplay?

"First Post Preview" is a feature that allows users to view the first post of a thread without having to click on it. This can save time and make browsing through forums more efficient.

How does "First Post Preview" work?

When enabled, "First Post Preview" displays a preview of the first post in a thread when a user hovers their cursor over the thread title. This preview typically includes the first few sentences or the entire first post, depending on the settings.

Why is "First Post Preview" useful?

"First Post Preview" allows users to quickly preview the content of a thread before deciding whether or not to click on it. This can be helpful in determining if a thread is relevant or interesting without having to open it.

Can "First Post Preview" be disabled?

Yes, forum administrators have the option to disable "First Post Preview" if they do not want it to be available on their forum. This can be done through forum settings or by editing the forum template.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using "First Post Preview"?

While "First Post Preview" can be a useful feature, some users may find it annoying or distracting. Additionally, the preview may not always accurately represent the content of the thread, as it is usually limited to a certain number of characters. This can be a potential drawback for users who rely on the preview to decide whether or not to click on a thread.