Fish has gone missing in a tank

• Thread starter Les talons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank
In summary, when shone a flashlight into the bottom of a cylindrical tank with an 8.80m diameter and 8.00m deep, the minimum angle the beam can make with the horizontal is 63.69°.
Les talons

Homework Statement

At the aquarium where you work, a fish has gone missing in a 8.00mdeep, 8.80m diameter cylindrical tank. You shine a flashlight in from the top edge of the tank, hoping to see if the missing fish is on the bottom. What’s the smallest angle your flashlight beam can make with the horizontal if it’s to illuminate the bottom?

Homework Equations

n1sinΘ1 = n2sinΘ2
index of refraction of water: nw = 1.333
index of refraction of air: na = 1.000293

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the minimum angle would be when the beam hit the edge of the tank and formed a right triangle so the angle in the water would be:
Θ2 = arctan(8/8.8)
n2 = nw = 1.333
n1 = na = 1.000293
Θ1 = arcsin[(1.333/1.000293)sin(arctan(8/8.8)] = 63.69°
So then
1.333sin(42.27°) = 1.000293sin(63.69°)
But this is wrong. I also tried to subtract it from 90° but that is wrong as well, to measure from the vertical instead. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Les talons said:
1. (snip) 8.00mdeep, 8.80m diameter cylindrical tank.(snip)

Θ2 = arctan(8/8.8)
(snip).

Sketch it out, and think over the trig definitions.

Likes Les talons
Okay, I am confused what is meant by illuminate the bottom. We model the wave fronts of the light source as a ray, so to illuminate the bottom, will this ray have to reach the center of the bottom of the tank, or just an edge of the bottom of the tank where it meets the wall?

Edge-wall boundary is good enough. Think, what is the definition of θ2 in Snell's law?

Likes Les talons
Hmm, Θ2 in Snell's Law is the angle of refraction of the light ray measured with respect to the normal to the surface of the refracting medium, or "to the vertical." Ah, so I swapped the sides of the right triangle (which is what you had hinted at in outlining), and I was getting the cotangent of the angle Θ2. Θ2 = tangent (opp./adj.) = tan(diameter/height) = tan(8.8/8). So then I can apply Snell's Law to get:
1.333sin(arctan(8.8/8)) = 1.000293sinΘ1
So if Snell's Law can be used to find Θ1, the angle of incidence of the incident light ray with respect to the normal to the surface, I can take the complement of the angle to get the angle measured with respect to the horizontal, right?
I can also use this identity that I came across:
sin(arctan(x)) = x/√(1 +x^2)

Good hunting --- we'll hope "Nemo" just ducked out for a burger.

:p I will be finding Dory now... Thanks a bunch for the posts! I need to be more careful with what the formulas mean in words, so then I will be less likely to apply them blindly and incorrectly.

What could have caused the fish to go missing in the tank?

There are several possible explanations for a fish going missing in a tank. It could have died and been eaten by other fish, jumped out of the tank, or been removed by a predator such as a cat.

How can I find a missing fish in the tank?

If you suspect a fish has gone missing in the tank, you can try searching for it in the tank and in the surrounding area. You can also check the tank's filter and decorations, as well as any potential hiding spots.

What can I do to prevent fish from going missing in the tank?

To prevent fish from going missing in the tank, make sure the tank is properly secured with a lid and any potential openings are covered. Also, regularly check the tank and its inhabitants for any signs of illness or injury.

Should I be concerned about the other fish in the tank if one has gone missing?

If a fish has gone missing in the tank, it's important to monitor the other fish for any signs of illness or stress. It's also a good idea to thoroughly clean the tank and check the water quality to ensure the missing fish did not leave behind any harmful bacteria or parasites.

What should I do if I can't find the missing fish in the tank?

If you have thoroughly searched the tank and cannot find the missing fish, it's possible that it has died and been eaten by other fish. In this case, it's important to remove any remaining fish and properly dispose of the deceased fish. You may also want to consider adjusting the tank's environment to prevent future incidents.