Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fisheye Lens (alt/az) to Flat (RA/Dec)?

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    I have a fisheye lens which sees 180 degrees of the sky. It registers the entire sky on a 640x480 grid of pixels. Let's assume I know where the zenith and north are on the plate. That allows me to find the alt/az of every pixel in the circular image. The fisheye is linear in the distance from the zenith out to the edge of the image. How do I compute the ra/dec of each pixel in the image? I know the time and date the image was taken down to 1 second of accuracy.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    Actually, this looks pretty straight forward. It's really nothing more than converting from horizontal to equatorial coordinates using some readily available equations on the web. Since the alt/az of each pixel is known from the linearity of both the az and alt, it amounts to making the calcs for every pixel in the circular image.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook