Fisheye Lens (alt/az) to Flat (RA/Dec)?

• Thread starter solarblast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flat Lens
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a fisheye lens to capture a 180 degree view of the sky and register it on a 640x480 pixel grid. The speaker knows the location of the zenith and north on the image, which allows them to determine the altitude and azimuth of each pixel. They are now trying to calculate the right ascension and declination of each pixel using the time and date the image was taken. The solution involves converting from horizontal to equatorial coordinates using readily available equations online and making calculations for each pixel in the circular image based on the known alt/az values.
solarblast
I have a fisheye lens which sees 180 degrees of the sky. It registers the entire sky on a 640x480 grid of pixels. Let's assume I know where the zenith and north are on the plate. That allows me to find the alt/az of every pixel in the circular image. The fisheye is linear in the distance from the zenith out to the edge of the image. How do I compute the ra/dec of each pixel in the image? I know the time and date the image was taken down to 1 second of accuracy.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Actually, this looks pretty straight forward. It's really nothing more than converting from horizontal to equatorial coordinates using some readily available equations on the web. Since the alt/az of each pixel is known from the linearity of both the az and alt, it amounts to making the calcs for every pixel in the circular image.

What is a fisheye lens?

A fisheye lens is a type of wide-angle lens that captures a very wide field of view, typically around 180 degrees or more. This results in a distorted, curved image that resembles the shape of a fish's eye, hence the name "fisheye".

What is the difference between alt/az and RA/Dec?

Alt/az (altitude/azimuth) and RA/Dec (right ascension/declination) are two different coordinate systems used to locate celestial objects in the sky. Alt/az coordinates are based on the altitude (angle above the horizon) and azimuth (angle along the horizon) of an object, while RA/Dec coordinates are based on the object's position relative to the celestial equator and the vernal equinox.

How does a fisheye lens convert to flat coordinates?

A fisheye lens can be converted to flat coordinates, such as RA/Dec, using mathematical transformations. These transformations involve correcting for the distortion caused by the lens and adjusting for the specific field of view captured by the lens.

What are the advantages of using a fisheye lens for astronomy?

Fisheye lenses are useful for capturing wide fields of view, making them ideal for astrophotography and surveying large areas of the sky. They also have a shorter focal length, which allows for shorter exposure times and reduces the effects of atmospheric distortion.

Can a fisheye lens be used for precise astrometry?

While a fisheye lens can provide accurate coordinates when converted to flat coordinates, it is not suitable for precise astrometry. This is because the lens introduces distortions that can affect the accuracy of measurements. For precise astrometry, a flat field lens or telescope with a longer focal length is recommended.