Fission products released from failed fuel rods in a PWR

In summary, the escape rate coefficient is a measure of the possibility of one fission product atom released from defective fuel rods per second. This rate can be described as the escape rate coefficent, and it is affected by the linear power in the reactor.
Pengtaofu
TL;DR Summary
fission product release from failed fuel rods in PWR
There are a lot of fission products accumulated in the fuel pellet and gap in the fuel cladding during PWR operation. Howeve, some iodine and noble gas will release to the primary loops in case of fuel failure. The fission product release rate can be described as the escape rate coefficent which means the possibility of one fission product atom released from defective fuel rods per second.
I am told that the relationshipn bewteen escape rate coefficent and linear heat rate, shown in the following figure, has been got in Canada experiment reactor at 1960s. Howerer I can not find any usefuel information about detail of the experiment. Could anyone help if one know the old experts.
escape rate coefficient.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't help with the specific figure. But maybe you can find something on the CanTeach web site. Their publication library has a huge amount of information on line for free.

https://canteach.candu.org/Pages/Welcome.aspx

Oh, this place has done something to the link. The link is under the word "Welcome."

DEvens said:
I can't help with the specific figure. But maybe you can find something on the CanTeach web site. Their publication library has a huge amount of information on line for free.

Oh, this place has done something to the link. The link is under the word "Welcome."
Thank you very much for sharing the web which include a lot of good public education for CANDU.

Likes DEvens
DEvens said:

Thank you very much for sharing the web which include a lot of good public education for CANDU.

Pengtaofu said:
Summary: fission product release from failed fuel rods in PWR

I am told that the relationshipn bewteen escape rate coefficent and linear heat rate, shown in the following figure, has been got in Canada experiment reactor at 1960s. Howerer I can not find any usefuel information about detail of the experiment. Could anyone help if one know the old experts.
I did some work on release of fission products from failed fuel about 30 years. I had collected some of the earlier AECL reports on their experiments. At the time, I corresponded with Prof. Brent Lewis, who was involved with an experimental program with defected CANDU-type UO2 fuel elements was carried out at CRNL from 1975 to 1983. I'll dig around to see if I still have some information. Lewis and colleagues wrote articles on their work, e.g., "Fuel Performance and Fission Product Release Studies for Defected Fuel Elements," Ref: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.13182/NT93-A34845

Meanwhile - https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0334/ML033450220.pdf

Likes berkeman
Astronuc said:
I did some work on release of fission products from failed fuel about 30 years. I had collected some of the earlier AECL reports on their experiments. At the time, I corresponded with Prof. Brent Lewis, who was involved with an experimental program with defected CANDU-type UO2 fuel elements was carried out at CRNL from 1975 to 1983. I'll dig around to see if I still have some information. Lewis and colleagues wrote articles on their work, e.g., "Fuel Performance and Fission Product Release Studies for Defected Fuel Elements," Ref: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.13182/NT93-A34845

Meanwhile - https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0334/ML033450220.pdf
Thank you very much. I think your rich experience will be much helpful. Prof. Brent is a very famous expert and has publised a series of paper on the fission product release from failed fuel. I have discussed with Prof. Brent about fission product release from failed fuel rods but it is not very esay to find the origin of the coefficients. I think some elder colleagues may know the detailed information.
Actually the linear power in light water reactor uasally stay at about 180 W/cm, e.g. AP1000 and EPR. I am not sure the release rate coefficientor escape rate coefficient of fission product in the figure (400W/cm -500W/cm ) may be too conservative for AP1000 and APR1400.

Pengtaofu said:
Actually the linear power in light water reactor uasally stay at about 180 W/cm, e.g. AP1000 and EPR. I am not sure the release rate coefficientor escape rate coefficient of fission product in the figure (400W/cm -500W/cm ) may be too conservative for AP1000 and APR1400.
The figure heat rates (10 to 20 kw/ft) look like hot channel rates; the 180 W/cm (5.5 kW/ft) value you mention is a core average rate. I would guess the fission product release rate would be a function of local (not core average) heat rate.

gmax137 said:
The figure heat rates (10 to 20 kw/ft) look like hot channel rates; the 180 W/cm (5.5 kW/ft) value you mention is a core average rate. I would guess the fission product release rate would be a function of local (not core average) heat rate.
Thank you very much for the remind and I agree with you. 5.5 kW/ft (180 W/cm) is indeed the average linear power. The average linear power can reach to 9.1 kW/ft (1.65 F∆Η) and 13.8 kW/ft (2.5 FQ) in the extreme conditions and may be the similar range.

1. What are fission products?

Fission products are the radioactive elements that are created during the process of nuclear fission in a nuclear reactor.

2. How are fission products released from failed fuel rods in a PWR?

Fission products are released from failed fuel rods in a PWR through a process called fuel rod failure. This can occur due to corrosion, mechanical stress, or other factors that cause the fuel rod to break, allowing the fission products to escape into the reactor coolant.

3. What are the dangers of fission products being released from failed fuel rods in a PWR?

The main danger of fission products being released from failed fuel rods in a PWR is the potential for radioactive contamination of the surrounding environment. These radioactive elements can also pose a health risk to humans if they are inhaled or ingested.

4. How are fission products from failed fuel rods in a PWR contained?

Fission products from failed fuel rods in a PWR are contained by the reactor's primary containment structure, which is designed to prevent any release of radioactive material into the environment. Additionally, the reactor's emergency systems are activated to minimize the spread of fission products in the event of a fuel rod failure.

5. What measures are taken to prevent fuel rod failure and the release of fission products in a PWR?

To prevent fuel rod failure and the release of fission products in a PWR, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place. These include regular inspections and maintenance of the fuel rods, as well as training and monitoring of reactor operators. Additionally, advanced technologies and materials are constantly being developed to improve the safety and reliability of nuclear reactors.