Fitting an inverse quadratic curve

In summary, to find the curve that passes through two points in the +x,+y quadrant, where f(x) = \frac{a}{(bx)^2}, we can let k=\frac{a}{b^2} and express the curve as f(x) = \frac{k}{x^2}. The two points will lie on the curve if and only if x_1^2y_1=x_2^2y_2. We can then choose one variable, such as b, to simplify the equation and find the values for a and b.
likwid4
If I know 2 points in the +x,+y quadrant, and I want to find the

Code:
f(x) =    a
         --------
         (b*x)^2

curve that passes through both points (a and b are constants).

This is probably either really simple or impossible. :rolleyes:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes... this is either really simple or impossible.

Let [tex]k=\frac{a}{b^2}[/tex]. Since [tex]f(x) = \frac{a}{(bx)^2} = \frac{a}{b^2x^2}=\frac{\frac{a}{b^2}}{x^2}[/tex], we can say [tex]f(x) = \frac{k}{x^2}[/tex].

If the two points are given by [tex]P_1 = (x_1,y_1)[/tex] and [tex]P_2 = (x_2,y_2)[/tex], then they both lie on such a curve if and only if [tex]y_1 = \frac{k}{x_1^2}[/tex] and [tex]y_2 = \frac{k}{x_2^2}[/tex]. That is, if [tex]x_1^2y_1=x_2^2y_2[/tex]. If this is the case, then let [tex]k=x_1^2y_1[/tex], and translate to a and b. Since we've got two variables and one equation, we're free to choose one of them. For ease, let's make b=1. Then a=k. So, [tex]f(x)=\frac{k}{x^2}[/tex].

Though I can't think how I missed that but I do feel quite stupid now :yuck:

1. What is an inverse quadratic curve?

An inverse quadratic curve is a mathematical function that represents a parabola with a horizontal axis of symmetry. It is the inverse of a quadratic function, meaning that the x and y values are switched.

2. How do you fit an inverse quadratic curve?

To fit an inverse quadratic curve, you will need to have a set of data points that can be plotted on a graph. Then, you can use a curve-fitting algorithm or software to determine the best-fitting inverse quadratic function for your data.

3. What is the purpose of fitting an inverse quadratic curve?

Fitting an inverse quadratic curve allows you to model and analyze data that follows a parabolic trend. It can help you make predictions and understand the relationship between variables in your data.

4. How accurate is an inverse quadratic curve fit?

The accuracy of an inverse quadratic curve fit depends on the quality and quantity of the data points used. Generally, the more data points you have, the more accurate the curve fit will be. It is also important to use a reliable curve-fitting algorithm or software.

5. Can you use an inverse quadratic curve to make predictions?

Yes, once you have a well-fitted inverse quadratic curve, you can use it to make predictions about future data points that follow the same trend. However, it is important to note that all predictions are subject to error and may not be completely accurate.